Mom's Breakfast Cake

Sunday, June 28, 2009

This is one of those old classic recipes from my Mom.  She didn't cook fancy breakfasts very often, but when we woke up to the sweet cinnamon aroma wafting through the house we knew to come running to the table quickly.  Since there were eight of us kids she would always double the recipe, but even still if we didn't take our fair share first thing there definitely were not going to be seconds.   Now my kids love it as much as we did!


Click here for printable recipe. 

The ingredients:
1-1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt 1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup milk
1 egg

TOPPING:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup flour
3 Tbs. firm butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Sift dry ingredients together.  Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the oil, milk, and egg.  Stir just until combined.  Pour into a greased 8x8-inch pan.  In a small bowl, cut the topping ingredients together with a pastry blender or fork.  Sprinkle evenly over the batter, pushing the topping down slightly with your fingers into the batter.  Bake for about 20 minutes or until tests done.  Serve warm.

Enjoy!

13 comments:

Heidi June 28, 2009 at 9:46 AM  

That is one yummy looking breakfast! I love that its made with items I always have one hand. Can't wait to try it out on my own kids :)

SnoWhite June 28, 2009 at 10:09 AM  

yummy! That looks great. It's on our list to try :)

Katy ~ June 28, 2009 at 10:34 AM  

Lara, what a sweet memory you've shared. I can almost hear the scurrying feet and the bustling at the table!

This cake looks delish! I'm saving and copying to try. We would love this.

Melody June 28, 2009 at 1:21 PM  

This would be a great Sunday morning tradition. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Heidi June 28, 2009 at 2:33 PM  

I left you an award on my newest post

Kristen June 28, 2009 at 2:37 PM  

mmm, my kids would go nuts over this!

teresa June 28, 2009 at 6:38 PM  

I would not be sad to wake up to a delicious cake like this!

K June 28, 2009 at 8:00 PM  

Mmmm...mmmmmm good! Tom makes this for me when he really wants to make me happy since he knows how much I love it! Yummy! I think I may have to make it tomorrow.

Coleens Recipes June 29, 2009 at 2:30 AM  

I picture this hot out of the oven with butter...yummm.

MaRiN June 29, 2009 at 11:25 AM  

Now this is my kind of breakfast! Sounds delicious!

Julie June 29, 2009 at 2:46 PM  

Looks delicious. I'm sure we'd have no leftovers either!

K July 17, 2011 at 11:36 PM  

We made this for breakfast this morning and it was soooo good!

K October 8, 2011 at 12:33 PM  

We made this again today and I can't tell you how much I love it. I would like to mention though that it nomally takes 30-35 minutes for it to cook. BTW, would you mind posting the printable recipe? (o:

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP