Sugar Free Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

While I often adjust my recipes slightly to make them a little healthier for our family, I'm still somewhat of a wimp when it comes to going totally sugar or fat free. I found this recipe for Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins in one of my Light and Tasty magazines and decided that they looked good enough to try--even without any added sugar! The kids thought they were the coolest thing ever with the jelly filling inside and ate them up without hesitation. I thought they were okay and just a tad bland without sugar, but since the kids liked them so much I will definitely make them again.

The ingredients:

2 cups flour

2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup apple juice concentrate
1/2 cup reduced-fat chunky peanut butter
1/4 cup fat-free milk
3 Tbs. butter, melted
1/3 cup 100% strawberry spreadable fruit

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Combine the eggs, apple juice concentrate, peanut butter, milk, and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.

Coat 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon half the batter into cups. Spoon about 1-1/4 teaspoons spreadable fruit into the center of each; top with remaining batter. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes 1 dozen muffins.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

Melody July 15, 2009 at 8:06 AM  

This sounds really good. How nice to have found a recipe that isn't loaded with sugar that the kids enjoy.

Coleens Recipes July 15, 2009 at 2:38 PM  

A big thumbs up from the kids is a GREAT recommendation.

teresa July 15, 2009 at 11:34 PM  

So yummy and healthy. A family pleaser for sure!

Katy ~ July 16, 2009 at 5:00 AM  

I'm becoming more interested in sugar-free recipes so it's good to see this. I think it's terrific that your children endorse these as YUMMY!

Rachel July 16, 2009 at 12:05 PM  

I desperately try to get my husband to eat healthier foods, but don't have much luck! He loves muffins, so I'm going to make these and neglect to tell him that they're "sugar-free"...what he doesn't know, won't hurt him, right?!?

Mindy July 16, 2009 at 6:07 PM  

What a good idea! I'm going to have to try these for sure. (I'm a sucker for PBJ, so these are right up my ally). And I'm glad you liked the lemonade... feel free to post it. Some of our recipes have come from other blogs, as well. (We always give credit, too, of course) I have loved the cooking blog community b/c of all the great recipes it has brought to our fingertips. :) Mindy (one of the sisters)

Erin July 16, 2009 at 10:00 PM  

Hey Lara, awesome blog! I've been scanning these mouth watering pictures and I already have a bunch I want to make. :)
I'm glad you've enjoyed some of the recipes on The Sisters' Cafe! It looks like Mindy already told you you are welcome to post some of our recipes on your blog. :) I second what she said - it is so fun to swap recipes and be a part of the cooking community online! :)

Lyndas recipe box July 17, 2009 at 12:08 AM  

These look so good..what a great idea for muffins!

Lynn July 17, 2009 at 7:18 PM  

This is impressive, Lara -- no sugar at all!! You get bonus mom points for giving your kiddos something so healthy :) They do look tasty.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP