Cheddar Dill Bread

Friday, November 6, 2009

Sometimes I get so focused on making the main dish of a meal, that everything else just goes by the wayside. As a result, I'm always on the lookout for simple, easy side dishes to accompany my simple, easy main dishes. This is one I found that whipped up quickly, had the light flaky texture of biscuits, with the robust flavor of dill and cheddar. It rounded out our meal just perfectly!




The ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 tsp. dill weed
1 egg
3/4 cup milk

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly; stir in cheddar and dill. In a small bowl, beat egg and milk; pour into dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. (Batter will be very thick--similar to a biscuit dough). Don't overwork the dough.

Place dough into greased 8-in. x 4-in. x 2-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Makes 1 loaf.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

SnoWhite November 6, 2009 at 8:21 AM  

sounds yummy!

how would it work for a sandwich bread?

and... because I have to ask -- is it still nice and warm where you are? those outdoor pictures would not be happening here right now ;)

Rachel November 6, 2009 at 9:05 AM  

I'm the same way...I tend to focus on trying new entrees and don't spend as much time focusing on my "sides"! My husband absolutely loves Red Lobster's cheddar biscuits, so I bet he'd go crazy for this bread!

Karey November 6, 2009 at 11:34 AM  

hmm... never thought of baking biscuit-y dough as a loaf, but I'm definitely going to try this one out. I bought some dill a while ago and never have opened it!

teresa November 6, 2009 at 3:17 PM  

i do the same thing when it comes to dinner, one main dish, and then i could care less about the rest of it! this sounds like a perfect side dish, my family would love it too!

Katy ~ November 7, 2009 at 6:55 AM  

I bet these would make terrific muffins. gosh these sound so good. My mouth is actually aching for one of these.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP