Blueberry and Spinach Smoothie

Thursday, May 27, 2010

One time I mentioned to a few friends that we regularly have a "Super Food Smoothie" with our dinner that included spinach and since then I've had several people ask me for the recipe.  So, by popular demand, here is the recipe.   

With four super foods in this smoothie, it packs a nutritious punch that the whole family loves.  I hid the fact that I was adding spinach the first few times I made it, but now they all know and like that they get to "eat" their vegetables in such a pleasant manner!   

Click here for printable recipe


Can you name the four super foods in the picture above?
Spinach, blueberries, yogurt, and oranges.



The ingredients:
2-3 cups tightly packed baby spinach leaves, washed
1-1/2 cups frozen blueberries
1-1/2 cups frozen strawberries (or other frozen fruit of your choice)
1 ripe banana
1/2 cup favorite yogurt (or more if you want it a little sweeter)
1-2 cups 100% grape juice or orange juice* (depending on how thick/sweet  you like it)


*  My husband prefers it made with grape juice, while I prefer the slightly less sweet version made with orange juice.  Sometimes we are bold and try it with half OJ and half grape juice.

Directions:  Pack 2-3 cups of washed baby spinach into the bottom of the blender (use the glass cup markings on the side of the blender pitcher for convenience).  Add the rest of the ingredients in the order listed. 
( Your blender will only be about 2/3 full if you make the recipe as written. 
I always make a one and a half batch for my big family.)

Blend for 2-3 minutes until smooth and pureed.  You may need to push down and stir the frozen berries occasionally. 



Thin with added grape juice or water if desired.  Serve immediately.  Makes 4-5 servings.  Enjoy!


Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox.  Sign up on the right for free email updates. 

13 comments:

Mallory's Mommy May 27, 2010 at 10:36 PM  

looks very yummy. does your family not mind the seeds from the rasberries?

SnoWhite May 27, 2010 at 11:37 PM  

That's my kind of smoothie!!

Kim May 28, 2010 at 8:21 AM  

I love smoothies and have been wanting to try one with veggies. This looks like a good way to do that. I made an Ellie Krieger smoothie recently and pop the leftovers in the popsicle molds. I wonder how this smoothie would be as a popsicle? It would definitely be way healthier than any other pop:)

Lara May 28, 2010 at 10:06 AM  

My family does not mind the raspberry seeds, but you could just add a cup of another fruit (more blueberries, strawberry, mango, etc) if you did not care for the raspberries.

FoodontheTable May 28, 2010 at 11:29 AM  

Brilliant way to incorporate super foods - it looks delicious!

teresa May 28, 2010 at 5:06 PM  

mmm, a power smoothie, love it!

Greta @ Mom Living Healthy May 28, 2010 at 5:28 PM  

This looks delicious and I've been looking for a smoothie recipe, so I'm glad I found yours.

Lively Luckinbills May 31, 2010 at 1:15 PM  

I just made this but used carrots instead of spinach because I didn't have any...it turned out good anyway. I love the ideas on this food blog!

Rhandi June 2, 2010 at 5:22 PM  

Looks and sounds great! You really can't taste the spinach and you get all the nutrients. I hardly put any fruit in mine, sometimes just a banana and we all still love it (even my 3 and 1 year old). I love Green smoothies!

Mika,  June 7, 2010 at 8:04 AM  

I just put the remander in our popsicle maker. Can't wait to see if it turns out. Thanks for the recipe.

Aliya July 20, 2010 at 12:16 PM  

This is my style smoothie too. (currently eating a banana, blueberry, spinach, Strawberry smoothie for lunch). I like to toss in a bit of ground flax seed. Really doesn't add texture if you already have a seedy berry in there.

Anonymous,  June 7, 2011 at 11:33 AM  

This was amazing only mine didn't look like yours at all. Haha mine was super green but super delicious!

Rebekah January 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM  

That looks fantastic! I love these types of smoothies. :) Great way to get my kiddo to eat some spinach!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP