Six Cheese Spinach Crespelles with Tomato Alfredo Sauce and Smoked Sausages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

This delicious recipe is from my sister-in-law Mika.  She based it on a dish she'd had at Olive Garden, but I have to say it was better (and cheaper) than any dish I've ever had there!   My husband and kids all adored the cheesy blend of Italian flavors.


Click for printable recipe

 The ingredients: 

CREPES:
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
3 Tbs. butter, melted
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt


FILLING:
1 package (8-ounces) six Italian cheese blend
1 carton (15-ounces) ricotta cheese
1 package (10-ounces) frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained
2 eggs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

SAUCE:
1 pound smoked sausage, sliced and cooked until golden
1 jar (15-ounces) Alfredo sauce
1 can (29-ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained


For Crepes:  (You can make the crepes early in the day and keep them wrapped in damp paper towel until assembly)  Combine all ingredients in blender container; blend about 1 minute.  Scrape down sides with rubber spatula, and blend about 30-seconds more.  Refrigerate batter for  1 hour (we usually skip this step).  To cook, heat omelet, crepe, or regular frying pan on medium-high heat just hot enough to sizzle a drop of water.  Brush pan lightly with melted butter.  For each crepe, pour in just enough batter to cover bottom of pan, tipping and tilting pan to move batter quickly over bottom. (NOTE:  We made them slightly thicker than normal crepes to make them a little heartier) If crepe has holes, add a drop or two of batter to patch.  Cook until light brown on bottom and dry on top.  Remove from pan and stack on plate.  Makes 12 crepes.  

For filling:  Mix cheese blend, ricotta cheese, spinach, eggs, and Parmesan cheese.  Stir well and set aside.

For sauce:  Place the whole undrained can of whole tomatoes into the blender and mix until smooth.  Add Alfredo sauce and blend until well combined.

To assemble:  Stuff each crepe with filling and roll up and place in large greased baking dish.

Cover with tomato-Alfredo sauce.

Bake at 350° for 35 minutes.  While crespelles are cooking, slice and cook sausage.

Place sausage slices over the top of the crespelles and serve immediately.


Enjoy!

8 comments:

Joy's Dumb Deals September 16, 2010 at 4:57 PM  

Holy Hannah, this looks Good. mmmm Fay!

Twinkies September 16, 2010 at 6:26 PM  

I never actually got a chance to eat it at Olive Garden. I just saw the pictures and description and it made my mouth water. So to satisfy the craving I figured it out. Thanks for posting it and taking pictures of all the steps.

K September 16, 2010 at 9:02 PM  

This sounds so good. Hopefully, my appetite will return so I can try it!

Christine September 17, 2010 at 1:49 PM  

HI lara! This looks so delicious. I want to try it. If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your post. Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post so it will appear in the Foodista pages and it's all set, Thanks!

Kristen September 18, 2010 at 8:44 AM  

I am trying this! Delicious!

Kim September 18, 2010 at 11:32 AM  

Oh Lara.....this looks absolutely heavenly! I love everything about it and definitely have to bookmark this for sure. I've been trying to get around to making my own ricotta and this would be a perfect way to use it!

Thanks:)

The Daily Smash September 20, 2010 at 7:05 PM  

Looks good love your blog. Everything looks so yummy
Check out my new food blog at http://thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP