Creamy Lime Chicken and Peppers (in the Slow Cooker)

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

This creamy lime chicken (made in the slow cooker) was a breath of fresh air on a busy day.  I chopped up the peppers early in the day, then threw it all in the crockpot together about 4-1/2 hours before dinnertime.  The roux goes in right before serving and voila…a beautiful looking, zesty, flavorful, and healthy dinner!  This recipe came from my favorite slow cooker cookbook: 365 Days of Slow Cooking!

Click here for printable recipe.


The ingredients:

2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup chicken broth
4 Tbs. lime juice, divided
3 Tbs. soy sauce
1-1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken tenders
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 red pepper, cut into long strips
1 green pepper, cut into long strips
1 yellow pepper, cut into long strips
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup flour, divided
1 cup half-and-half (or whole milk)
1 lb. spinach fettuccine (or regular fettuccine), cooked and drained
cilantro, chopped (for garnishment)


Directions:
  Combine garlic, broth, 2 Tablespoons lime juice, soy sauce, chicken, red onion, and peppers in slow cooker.  Stir to coat chicken.  Cook on LOW for about 4 hours. 


In a large skillet, melt butter over low heat.  As soon as butter is melted sprinkle in 1/4 cup of flour.  Stir with wire whisk.  Slowly add in whole milk (or half-and-half) and stir with whisk.  Take a measuring cup and dip it in the slow cooker and get about 1/2 cup of the liquid.  Pour it into the skillet.  Add in the rest of the flour (another 1/4 cup) and stir.  Get more liquid from slow cooker (exact measurements not important) and add it into the creamy mixture.   Add in the remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice to the cream mixture. 


Pour sauce over the contents of the slow cooker.  Stir to combine.  Add in cooked pasta and coat with sauce.  Garnish with cilantro.  Makes 4-6 servings.  Enjoy! 

7 comments:

Holly April 5, 2011 at 12:12 PM  

LOVE cilantro lime!! This sounds really yummy:)

teresa April 5, 2011 at 2:22 PM  

oh my gosh, i have to make this, those are some killer flavors!

ann@Apples and Twinkies April 5, 2011 at 9:31 PM  

I love all the flavors in this dish! It looks great.

Cassie April 6, 2011 at 12:30 PM  

I am a huge fan of cilantro lime. I have never successfully created a citrus-cream sauce myself, this looks delicious

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy April 8, 2011 at 8:03 AM  

This is a keeper for sure. I have her books, how did I miss this one!?

DeeAnn Franks April 11, 2011 at 9:44 PM  

This was a hit at our house tonight, though it was kind of a warm evening to eat a creamy warm dish! And I forgot the cilantro--dang!

terrah December 31, 2011 at 9:12 PM  

We had this tonight and everyone loved it! We had mushrooms in the fridge that needed to be used and added them too-- yum! Thanks!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP