Root Beer Floats on a Stick

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I may have gray roots protruding from my home-colored hair.  I may be stressed and overscheduled.  And I  definitely am dog tired this week, but despite all that....today I feel AWESOME.  Yesterday, in amongst sleek Speedos and colorful swim caps,  in a swimsuit store of all places, I met my very first real life blog fan.  Someone who wouldn't know me otherwise.    While she was a little embarrassed to introduce herself as a blog fan, I, for one, was super excited to meet a fellow mother of five who loves this blog!  It turns out that she wasn't actually a complete stranger, as we have a mutual friend and had kids on a soccer team together a couple years back, but since there's no way we would have conversed at the swimsuit store without the blog, I'm still counting it.  :)    It was an exciting experience for me, even if she did get to see me in all my glory-- unshowered, wearing my grubbies, and toting around a dressed herself six-year-old.   :)  Thank you to her for making my day!   

Now onto the recipe of the day.    This recipe is super easy and perfect for a summer activity for your kids.  Just mix a few ingredients together, stick them in a Dixie cup, freeze, and VOILA ..... Root Beer Floats on a Stick!  The root beer portion of the popsicle is only two ingredients and is delicious in an of itself, but if  you decide to add the optional cream layer, they actually taste just like frozen root beer floats.  My kids are enamored!  Enjoy!


Source:  Smilemonsters
Click here for printable recipe. 


The ingredients:



ROOT BEER POPSICLE
1-1/2 cups root beer  (flat is fine)
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

CREAM LAYER (optional):
1/3 cup whole milk
1 Tbs. sweetened condensed milk
1/4 tsp. vanilla

Directions for the root beer layer: 
In a medium size bowl, mix root beer and sweetened condensed milk together with a whisk. If the mixture gets too foamy, just set it in the fridge for a few minutes until it settles down.

Pour into popsicle molds (we just used 3-ounce Dixie cups and popsicle sticks).  Let the popsicles set up for about an hour before inserting the sticks.  Or if you're forgetful like me, cover the top of the cup with a piece of aluminum foil  and place the stick in the middle of the foil.  The foil should hold it into place while it is setting. 

Directions for layered popsicles with the cream layer
(the cream layer makes it taste just like a root beer float):
Mix together root beer layer as indicated above.  Set aside in the refrigerator.  For cream layer, mix together milk, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla.  

If using 3-ounce Dixie cups, add 2 tablespoons of cream mixture into the bottom of each cup.  If using a popsicle mold rather than a Dixie cup, then fill it about 1/3 full with cream mixture.  Either way, freeze the cream layer for one hour.   At this point, the mixture should be set enough (with at least the top layer frozen) to add the root beer layer without the two layers mixing together.  Gently pour the root beer mixture over the cream mixture.  Freeze for an additional hour before inserting the popsicle sticks (or use the tin foil trick mentioned above).  Freeze for 3-4 more hours or until completely firm.  Tear away Dixie cup before serving.

Enjoy!!!!



Don't miss a single recipe, sign up for free email updates. 

8 comments:

Erin June 28, 2011 at 6:50 PM  

these look delicious! we will be making these for sure!

Kathleen June 28, 2011 at 9:25 PM  

I cant wait to try these!

Kim June 28, 2011 at 11:17 PM  

So exciting that someone recognized your from your blog. That's awesome. I had an old friend find me while searching for a recipe online. Her search directed her to my site and then she friended me on facebook. Funny how that happens.

You know I'm in love with these pops and they're so darn easy!

Heather June 29, 2011 at 8:02 AM  

Oh yum! We have a bottle of root beer in the pantry just calling for us to make these. Thanks for such a great idea!

Lyndas recipe box June 29, 2011 at 10:15 AM  

These sound amazing! My kids are much older than yours, but I know we will All love these yummy pops.

Jessie June 29, 2011 at 10:32 AM  

those look awesome and absolutely kid friendly!!! how great to meet a blog buddy you have never met. I would love that!!!

Clarinda June 29, 2011 at 1:27 PM  

These look and sound fantastic!

Jen June 29, 2011 at 5:39 PM  

We're definitely going to do this. Now, I just need to track down some sweetened condensed milk. I'm sure I saw it here somewhere.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP