Apple Butter in a slow cooker

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Autumn is the season for apples. Unfortunately (or fortunately in this case) I bought apples every time I went to the store or market and suddenly I realized that I had a ton of apples. What better way to use up a lot of apples then make homemade apple butter?! I really like the apple butter from the store, but I love making it myself because I know exactly what's in it and I can control the chunky level. I got this recipe from a Better Crocker Slow Cooker magazine from 2001 (modified a little of course). Needless to say I've made this a lot of times. I love how versatile apple butter is. It's great by itself on toast, but also in oatmeal, muffins, or even on top of your pork chops.
Click here for printable recipe. 

Posted by Jen. 

The Ingredients:

12 medium Granny Smith apples (peeled, and cut into 4ths)
1 c packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 c apple juice
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves

The Directions:
Add chopped and peeled apples to slow cooker. Toss with lemon juice. (today I actually used orange juice because I didn't have lemon juice)
Mix the sugar and spices together in small bowl and toss with apples. (you can experiment with the level of sugar. I think it would still be fine with a little less sugar) Pour apple juice over top.
Cover and cook on LOW heat for 8-10 hours, or until apples are very tender. Mash apples with potato masher.
You can control the chunky level. You can leave it chunky or continue mashing to achieve how you want it. Today I used my immersion blender to see what would happen. I think immersion blenders were made for this. (OK, so I get excited over a new kitchen gadget) If you don't have one you could blend it in the blender. Just be careful as it will be hot!)Let cook on Low, uncovered for about another hour to thicken up.
Once cooled pour into container to store in refrigerator. This made about 6 cups (as seen from my Tupperware picture below). If you're into canning then this would be great to can and save for later. What a great way to end a cold day!

1 comments:

Emily Jane,  December 1, 2011 at 6:26 PM  

I love apple butter from our farmer's market but it's so expensive. I'll have to try this crockpot version a try.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP