Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I received this recipe a long time ago from one of my college roommates. She referred to it as "California Enchiladas", but maybe that's because she was from California. In any case I have made these many, many times and every time they are gooey, cheesy goodness with a little bit of a kick. Lately I did start adding a can of green enchilada sauce to give it more of a kick and then they were even better! This is my kind of comfort food.Click here for printable recipe.

Posted by Jen.

The Ingredients:

2 pkgs flour tortillas
1 pound cooked shredded chicken (about 3 or 4 chicken breasts)
2 cans (10-3/4-ounces each) cream of chicken soup (or cream of mushroom if you want)
1 can (10-ounces) green enchilada sauce (or you could use 1 c salsa, but then your sauce will be a pinkish color)
1 c sour cream
1 (4 oz) can diced chilies
1 med onion, chopped
about 4 cups shredded cheese (cheddar or Monterrey Jack are best, or use pepper jack for more spice)
1 small can sliced black olives (optional)
salt/pepper to taste


*This will make about 14-16 enchiladas using two 9 x 13 pans. Cut it in half if necessary.

The Directions:
In a medium sauce pan mix together the soups, sour cream, enchilada sauce, and can of green chilies. Heat until it is all heated through, stirring so that it doesn't burn on the bottom.
Grease 2 9x13 pans and spread a thin layer of sauce in pan.
Chop up onion. Shred cheese (if not purchased that way) Make your assembly line of sauce, cooked chicken, onions, and cheese. (The easiest way to have cooked, shredded chicken is to buy already shredded chicken in a can. OR put your chicken breasts in pan of hot water and cook on stove until the chicken is cooked all the way through. Then remove them to a plate/cutting board and use two forks to shred the meat. It's really easy immediately after you've removed them from the water. Any left over chicken also freezes well for a future use!)In one hand take a tortilla and using a 1/4 measuring cup, scoop some sauce into the middle of the tortilla. Then sprinkle on chicken, onions, and cheese. (And olives if you want them) Use as much or as little as you want, just remember that you have to be able to roll it up!Roll it up and place tortilla seam side down in your baking pan.
Continue with the rest of them until you fill up your pan. I personally got 7-8 tortillas per pan. Cover with remaining sauce and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes. (you want the cheese and sauce on top to be nice and bubbly). Sorry, I forgot to take a picture when it came out of the oven because we were serving company and we were hungry! Serve warm with lettuce, olives, additional sour cream, lettuce, cilantro, or whatever else you like to eat with your enchiladas.


Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox. Sign up on the right for free email updates!

6 comments:

Dining Alone November 16, 2011 at 10:03 AM  

looks so simple and I could tweak it a little and my husband might even eat it.

karen November 16, 2011 at 8:03 PM  

our recipe is similar except we use cream of chicken soup. definitely a comfort food!

Kim November 17, 2011 at 7:10 AM  

That looks like one delicious cheesy sauce! Enchiladas are always a hit with my family. I really should make them more often.

Lara - You asked about the carrot/spinach ramekins. No one in my family likes cooked carrots so I halved the recipe and made them all for myself:) My family is rather picky so if I find something that I want to try then sometimes I'll halve the recipe and save it for my lunch during the week. I was real curious about this recipe and I really enjoyed it, but I probably wouldn't make it again since I'm the only one eating it. (Sorry, I hope I'm making sense)

Anonymous,  November 30, 2011 at 11:51 AM  

picture shows cream of chicken, recipe calls for cream of mushroom. I'd think these would produce much different results, any suggestions? I only have cream of mushroom on hand today, should I go buy cream of chicken instead? Please clarify which you used. I'm great at following a recipe, but not to confident to stray off one. Thanks!

Jen November 30, 2011 at 11:56 AM  

Hello Anonymous. When I first received this recipe I stuck to the recipe my room mate gave me, which was to use cream of mushroom. It tasted fine. I do prefer cream of chicken though. I need to go in and change the ingredients to match with the picture. Thanks for the reminder. If you want more flavor with the cream of mushroom, add more chilies, salsa, or even pepper jack cheese.

Anonymous,  November 30, 2011 at 3:03 PM  

Jen- Thank You so much! My husband & I are excited to try it tonight.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP