Slow Cooker Tamale Pie

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

After a month of posting only goodies (and eating way too many in the process), I guess it's time to get back on the healthy eating bandwagon again and this slow cooker recipe was a  great place to start!  With its cheesy cornbread crust and Mexican meat mixture, this dish got the "7-thumbs'-up" distinction in our family and because it was a slow cooker recipe, it got the busy mommy thumbs' up as well!  If you like your food on the mild side, I recommend substituting a can of plain diced tomatoes  in place of the green chili/diced tomato combination.  We, however, thought it was perfect just the way it was! 

Recipe Source:  Taste of Home

Click here for printable recipe. 

Posted by Lara. 

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained (for a milder version, substitute a can of plain diced tomatoes)
1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
2 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix (I used a Jiffy mix)
2 eggs
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
Sour cream and additional minced fresh cilantro, optional

Directions
In a large skillet, cook beef or turkey over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the cumin, salt, chili powder and pepper.
Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker; stir in the beans, tomatoes, corn, enchilada sauce, onions and cilantro.

Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours or until heated through.

In a small bowl, combine muffin mix and eggs;

spoon over meat mixture.

Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes.





Serve with sour cream and additional cilantro if desired.

Makes 8 servings.

Enjoy! 


Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox.  Sign up on the right for free email updates. 


6 comments:

Anonymous,  January 4, 2012 at 11:23 AM  

Thanks for sharing. I am absolutely obsessed with my slow cooker. We will have to try this for sure!

Jessica January 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM  

Looks great! I have a thing for Mexican food lately and I think this will fit the bill!

Debbie January 4, 2012 at 3:53 PM  

Perfect recipe to start off the New Year....looks delicious!

Coleens Recipes January 5, 2012 at 5:02 AM  

I love that this can be done in the crockpot!!! This looks festive and satisfying, I'm looking forward to trying it, thank you.

teresa January 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM  

SO yummy! i love tamale pie!

Jill January 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM  

Made this yesterday - we all thought it was delicious! Love your blog - it hasn't failed me yet. Thanks for sharing!!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP