Spaghetti and Turkey - Pesto Meatballs

Monday, August 6, 2012

My kids have always thought that meatballs are fun, but for some reason I've never really made them anything other than premade frozen versions before.   These turkey pesto meatballs caught my eye, because they actually called for ground turkey instead of ground beef.  I was very pleased at how they turned out.  Not only were they simple to make, but they were tasty, healthy, and met my kid's definition of fun!  This was one of those relatively rare meals that met the approval of the entire family, including the two pickiest eaters! 

Recipe adapted from:  The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh
Click here for printable recipe.

Posted by Lara. 

The ingredients:


2 jars (28-oz. each) chunky spaghetti sauce
1-lb. ground turkey
1-1/2 cups breadcrumbs
1/3 cup pesto
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp. salt
16-oz. spaghetti noodles

Directions:
Pour just enough pasta sauce to cover the bottom of a heavy medium size skillet.  In a bowl, mix turkey, breadcrumbs, pest, egg white, and salt in medium bowl.

Using moistened hands, form mixture into 1-1/2-inch diameter meatballs (it made about 36 meatballs). 

Place meatballs in single layer in sauce (I had to use two pans to fit them all in). 

Spread remaining sauce over the meatballs.

Bring to simmer.  Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. 
Simmer until meatballs are cooked through, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. 


While meatballs are cooking, cook noodles in  large pot of boiling salted water until tender.  Drain pasta.  Serve topped with meatballs and sauce and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, if desired. 


Enjoy! 


*****************************

Want to see links to your favorite recipes from Recipe Shoebox in your Facebook feed?  Be sure to "LIKE" our Facebook page!   


1 comments:

teresa August 6, 2012 at 4:15 PM  

ooooh, i'm loving the pesto. my kids are huge meatball fans too, i'll have to make this for them quick!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP