Pork Chops with Applebutter

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I have always loved eating pork chops with some sort of fruit jelly or preserves. (apricot, mint, peach, apple, etc)   I think it makes a wonderful combination.  One of my favorite combinations for pork chops is with apples.  I remembered that I had some leftover home made apple butter in the freezer and wanted to use it with dinner.  Check out the homemade apple butter in a crockpot recipe here). If you make your own apple butter, you can even control the chunky level that you're cooking with.  These pork chops had flavor and were kept pretty moist.  Two musts in my book when it comes to eating pork chops.
Click here for printable recipe.

Recipe by Jen

 Ingredients:
Boneless pork chops (4-6) , sliced medium thick 3/4 -1 inch
1/4 c apple butter (I really did use my leftover home made.  I just forgot to take the picture before using it all up!  So I had to substitute this jar of apple butter, which would work just fine as well)
1/2 -1 tsp onion powder
1 can chicken broth + water for brine
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 c more apple butter

Directions:
The night before, place pork chops, onion powder, and apple butter in seal-able container. Pour chicken broth and water over top until pork is covered.  Cover with lid and let marinate/brine overnight.

 When ready to cook, remove pork and pat dry so that the chops aren't all wet.
 Turn on skillet to high heat.  Sear the pork chops on both sides so a nice brown crust forms.  (This is why you need a higher heat).  Watch them though, you only need to brown them about 3 minutes on each side.

 Because I had a lot that I was serving for company, I removed them from my skillet and placed in a 9 x 13 pan.  If you are only heating up 3-4 AND they fit in your skillet, then by all means, continue following these instructions in a skillet.  Just  turn the stove down to med heat, pour on apple butter, and cover.

Anyway, I covered my pork chops with the remaining 1/2 c apple butter (or more if you want and if you have a lot of chops).  Cover and bake in at 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes (ish) or until just slightly pink or your meat thermometer reads 145 degrees.  The new guidelines for cooking pork now says to cook to  145 degrees.

 Remember that the meat will continue to cook a few minutes once you remove it from the oven. So let it rest about 5 minutes before serving. Serve warm and with the apple butter drippings in the pan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP