How to Make a Rainbow Layer Cake

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Recently I attended a class with my daughters where we learned how to make a rainbow layered cake.  Normally not much a cake baker myself,  I fell in love with seeing everyone's reaction at the end when they cut the cake and pulled out that first rainbow colored slice.   I enjoyed the reaction so much that when my son's birthday rolled around recently I decided that I would make one for his birthday party.  I was impressed with how simple it was to make (using 2 cake mixes) and I loved that it had every bit of that WOW factor for the 10-year-old boys as it did for the teen girls!  

This recipe is very versatile
and could be made festive for a number of different holidays (send me pictures of your versions and I'll add them onto the end of this post with a link back to your blog!)

pink
and red for Valentine's Day
red and green for Christmas
two different shades of green for St. Patrick's Day (or the rainbow colored)
red, white, and blue for Independence Day
orange and brown for Halloween (1 white cake mix and 1 chocolate)
orange and yellow for candy corn (as shown)

Taking the inspiration from the rainbow colored cake, my 11-year-old daughter decided to make her own version.  She thought it would be fun to create this  candy corn colored cake and decorate the outside with candy corns.  I think it turned out beautifully well, although I had to laugh that at eleven-years-old, her cake decorating skills have already bypassed my own! 
Click here for printable recipe


The ingredients:


CAKE  (the ingredients listed are if you are using a Duncan Hines white cake mix.  If using another brand, prepare as directed on that box.)
2 boxes white cake mix
6 egg whites
2 cups water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
food coloring (you'll need at least the primary colors for a rainbow)   
at least one 9-inch round cake pan and parchment paper

BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
1 cup butter
8 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1+ Tbs. milk (until good frosting consistency has been reached)
food coloring (if desired)

Directions:
CAKE:  Mix together the cake as directed on box.  Divide the batter evenly among seven small bowls (if you're using a double Duncan Hines cake mix it should be about a heaping cup of batter in each bowl).  Dye each bowl of batter your desired color.  


You will have to be liberal with the food coloring in order to get it bright enough.  Read the box of food coloring to get an idea of amounts.  



After each bowl of batter is mixed well and dyed to your desired color, add to a greased 9-inch circle baking pan with parchment paper lining just the bottom.  Spread batter evenly to the edges and pound pan on counter top to get rid of any air bubbles that may remain. 

Bake at 350 degrees for 9-minutes. 

Repeat for each layer. 

Allow each layer to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then carefully remove from pan and allow to cool on a wire rack.  After layers are cool, wrap in plastic wrap and place on a flat surface in a freezer.  It's okay to stack them.

Allow to freeze for 1 hour or more, then place the color of layer you want on the bottom onto a cake platter. 

FOR FROSTING:  Mix all ingredients together, adding a tablespoon of milk at a time until the right consistency is reached. 

Frost each layer liberally to the edge of the round and place the next layer on top until you've reached the top layer. 

Frost tops and sides of cake. 

If you have time, do a light layer of frosting over the whole cake, then place in the freezer for 1-2 hours, then refrost with a pretty layer of icing. 

If you don't have time to do a second coating, just frost it the best you can. 

To serve, cut into slices and wait for the oohs and aahs! 

Enjoy! 




2 comments:

Chinese restaurant Brisbane November 1, 2012 at 7:25 AM  

This cake looks wonderful! It is perfect for kids birthday celebration.

teresa November 3, 2012 at 9:59 PM  

so fun! my daughter would flip!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP