Homemade Twix Bars

Monday, April 22, 2013

Lucky me, I have a couple of children who love to bake even more than I do.  My waistline isn't sure it's such a blessing, but man oh man, my tastebuds sure do appreciate their culinary interest.  These bars are ones my daughter whipped up one day right before guests arrived.  Unfortunately she had not read ahead in the recipe to notice that they needed time to set up beforehand, so we served them to our guests as a not-so-lovely chocolate-caramel soup.  We cleaned up from dinner that night, set them aside, and totally forgot about them until a couple of days later when we rediscovered them as perfectly set-up chocolate-caramel bars of goodness!  After tasting them the second time, there was no forgetting them anymore and it did not take long for the rest of them to disappear.   These were one of the best desserts I've had in a long time!  
Click here for printable recipe (link updated).


Posted by Lara.

The ingredients:

SHORTBREAD LAYER:

1-1/2 cups butter, softened
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 tsp. vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt

Beat together butter and sugar and add vanilla. Stir in flour and salt until smooth. Press dough into a 9x13-inch baking dish (or up to a 12x16-inch pan) and poke several times with a fork.  (How big your pan is, will determine how thick your layers are.)

 

Bake at 325-degrees for about 22-25 minutes, or until light golden brown. Set aside and allow to cool completely.  

CARAMEL LAYER:


1-1/2 cups butter
1-1/2 cups sweetened condensed milk
1-1/2 cups brown sugar
6 Tbs. corn syrup
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla

In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter then stir in remaining ingredients, except vanilla.



 Stir in remaining ingredients except for vanilla and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Reduce heat to medium-low and stir at a low rolling boil for about 7 minutes.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  
Pour caramel over cooled shortbread and allow to set up for several hours or overnight.  We placed ours in the fridge to hasten the process.   

CHOCOLATE LAYER:



3-4 cups chocolate chips (we liked ours with dark chocolate)
2 Tbs. shortening

In a medium microwaveable bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening together on high heat for two minutes, stirring every thirty seconds.  Return to refrigerator to set, then cut into bars. Makes about 30 bars.

Store bars in a tightly covered container in the fridge with wax paper between layers.  Allow to sit at room temperature for a few minutes before eating.  

Enjoy!  

NOTE:  For an extra special treat, try these in a candy mold.    We coated the outside of the mold with melted chocolate, allowed it to set up, then placed a very small piece of shortbread (or Rice Krispies) and a spoonful of caramel into the mold and covered it with chocolate.  My daughter won a cooking contest with these tasty and pretty treats! 


Recipe Adapted from:  Boy Cheese Sandwich

6 comments:

Emma April 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM  

These actually taste like real twix! When I made these for the contest (when I used the molds) I found that tempering the chocolate helps make the chocolate look really shiny and more professional. Also, as an extra, you can drizzle it with a different color of melted chocolate.

Letting them set up is VERY important, because they will definitely not be as good. I recommend making them the day before you want to serve them, because, like my mom said they will be really gooey and the chocolate will be WAY too overpowering form the rest of the flavors.

Aitch April 22, 2013 at 11:47 PM  

Ooooh these look good! Please send me a batch Emma!

teresa April 24, 2013 at 5:24 PM  

so fun! these look incredible! i made homemade snickers bars once and about died and went to heaven.

Alli grins July 29, 2013 at 4:24 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alli grins July 29, 2013 at 10:09 PM  

Thanks for the link:) I'm glad you liked these. I seriously have to plan to give them away when I make them so I don't eat them all. Yummmmmmmm! I'm making your Oatmeal Cream Pies today! Sounds delish!!!

Unknown January 10, 2014 at 1:35 AM  

Very grateful to see your blog, I like this chocolates.Thank you so much for hosting this blog to all.I'm so much interested to follow yourfood guides.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP