Sunflower Seed and Whole Wheat Bread

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

 I make homemade bread all the time with 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 white flour and my family doesn't blink an eye.  This recipe caught my eye because it called for all whole wheat flour (except for 1/4 cup) and didn't call for anything weird.  I decided to use my white wheat flour (see note below for more details), but I was still somewhat skeptical thinking that it would be too heavy and might not raise right with it being 100% whole wheat.   I was wrong though.  Flavor wise it tasted a lot like my normal bread recipe and I loved the texture and crunch the sunflower seeds added.  My kids didn't notice anything was different (other than the sunflower seeds which they liked).  This was a great way to up the nutrition and fiber content without so much as a whimper from my family.   

 
 Click here for printable recipe.



The ingredients:
 Never mind my dog's nose in the picture here.  He is totally obsessed with butter and would not go away while I had it within his sniffing distance.  :)


2 Tbs. active dry yeast
3-1/4 cups warm water (110-115 degrees)
1/4 cup bread flour 
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup honey (I used molasses, since it was all I had)
3 tsp. salt
6-1/2 - 7-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sunflower seeds ( I think it would be better to double this amount)
3 Tbs. butter, melted

Directions:  In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.  Add the bread flour, oil, honey, salt, and 4 cups whole wheat flour.  Beat until smooth.  Stir in sunflower kernels and enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes (I just let mine knead in the Kitchen-Aid).  Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease the top.  Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
 
Punch dough down; divide into three portions.  Shape into loaves; place in three greased 8-inch by 4-inch loaf pans.  Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.  Brush with melted butter.  Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.

Enjoy!

****************************************************************************

Some notes on whole wheat flour:  

 



















  Whole wheat flour has traditionally been ground from hard RED wheat berries(shown on the left).  Its flavor is robust, but it can be a little heavy by itself for baked goods.  When I bake with regular whole wheat flour,  I usually use half regular white all-purpose flour and half whole wheat. 

White whole wheat flour is the same as traditional whole wheat, except that the wheat berry itself is lighter in color and flavor (shown on the right).  Nutritionally it is identical, but you will find that using it will make your baked goods lighter and softer in texture than with traditional whole wheat flour. 

 
Left:  Red (traditional) whole wheat
Right:  White whole wheat

 
I like to buy my 50-lbs. of white whole wheat berries from here.


*****************************************

6 comments:

SnoWhite March 3, 2010 at 8:34 AM  

I love the white wheat flour -- it's replaced all purpose at my place!

Jessie March 3, 2010 at 8:52 AM  

I am going to have to try this one out. I have been wanting to find a good whole wheat bread recipe that is not heavy. I have never bought the white whole wheat before but I am going to have to try it out. THanks for the recipe!!

Kim March 3, 2010 at 9:31 AM  

I love KA's white flour for baking bread. This sounds like a delicious bread and I have all the ingredients on hand. I've been wanting to make a bread with sunflower seeds for awhile now. I'm definitely going to try this. I'll let you know how it works out!

Charlene March 3, 2010 at 12:11 PM  

Ok, is this why when I made your homemade wheat bread it didn't rise? I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Twice I have made whole wheat bread and the bread doesn't get bigger when I bake it.

teresa March 3, 2010 at 8:55 PM  

sunflower seeds are one of my favorites in bread. this looks fantastic!

Anonymous,  September 14, 2010 at 10:45 PM  

Looks great!! I'll give this a try! :)

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP