Southwestern Sandwiches

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I used to think that as soon as the craziness of the school year ended, that I'd have all this time to cook and blog again. Well, reality has shown itself in an entirely different light and besides barely being able to scrounge together a respectable meal every night, the few new recipes I've tried have mostly turned out to be duds not worthy of posting here. This one, however, is the exception. It came together quickly and was enjoyed by the whole family. The younger kids enjoyed it without the avocados and tomatoes, but I thought they rounded off the sandwiches perfectly. Hope your summer is going well!

Click here for printable recipe.


The ingredients:
1 can (4.25-oz) chopped olives
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup chopped green onions
8 slices Italian bread (or whatever kind you prefer)
1 lb. thinly sliced ham or turkey
2 medium tomatoes
2 ripe avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Directions: In a bowl, combine olives, chili powder, cumin, and salt; set aside 2 tablespoons.

Add the mayo, sour cream, and onions to the remaining olive mixture.

Place bread on ungreased baking sheet;

spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise mixture on each slice.

Top with meat,

then tomatoes.

Spread with another tablespoon of mayonnaise mix.

Top with avocados

and cheeses.

Sprinkle with reserved olive mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until heated through.
Makes 8 servings. Enjoy!

8 comments:

Julie July 6, 2010 at 8:17 PM  

Looks like a super and quick summer meal!

FoodontheTable July 7, 2010 at 11:04 AM  

Yummy! Looks like this would be a hit.

alexandra July 8, 2010 at 10:00 AM  

I was wondering if this was the same recipe I had and it looks like it is. This recipe rocks! We've made it at the beach house (also minus the tomatoes, onions, and avocados for some of the younger kids - funny, huh?) when we have lots of family together and it's always been a big hit. Thanks for posting. I'll have to revisit this meal sometime soon!

Julia July 8, 2010 at 10:52 PM  

This looks like my king of sandwich! I think the mayo mixture is just so clever. Im bookmarking this recipe. Thanks.

Debbie July 10, 2010 at 8:20 AM  

Great idea and perfect for summer!

MaRiN July 10, 2010 at 4:06 PM  

These look absolutely delicious! I can see my family liking these. Thanks for the recipe!

Kim July 13, 2010 at 10:12 PM  

Why haven't I ever thought of topping a sandwich like this? Looks delicious.

I always think summer will mean more time for things, but it goes by too quickly.

teresa July 15, 2010 at 12:28 AM  

definitely my kind of sandwich!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP