Lemon Blueberry Muffins

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

How much did I like these muffins?  Hmmm, let me count the number of people I told to try these.  Then count the number of people I made them for and you'll start to get a little idea.  I love the buttery texture of these and the hint of lemon just added the perfect touch.  I used 100% whole wheat flour to counterbalance all the butter and still thought they were some of the best blueberry muffins I'd ever had.  :)

Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:


2 cups flour (I used King Arthur's white whole wheat flour)
1 cup sugar
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
6 Tbs. cold butter, cut into 6-pieces
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. grated lemon rind
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)

TOPPING:
2 Tbs. flour
2 Tbs. sugar
2 Tbs. melted butter
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Directions: Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.

With a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs (you want to be able to see small pea-sized clumps of butter still).

In a separate smaller bowl, lightly beat together egg, milk, lemon juice, lemon rind and vanilla until blended.

Stir egg mixture into flour mixture until just blended (do NOT overmix). NOTE: Batter will be somewhat thick.
 
Fold blueberries into batter.

Spoon batter evenly into well-greased muffin pan.

For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour, sugar, melted butter, and cinnamon until well blended.

Spread mixture evenly over tops of muffin batter.

Bake for 15-20 minutes at 400°. Muffins should be golden brown. Serve warm. Makes 12 standard size muffins. Enjoy!

3 comments:

teresa August 17, 2010 at 3:26 PM  

i just printed this recipe and off to make them now!

Lynn August 18, 2010 at 7:54 PM  

Oh I do love that combination of blueberry and lemon. I've made blueberry muffins that call for a dollop of lemon curd in the center -- those were super tasty, too. Sounds like you've got a winner of a recipe here.

R,  September 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM  

I just made these and we love them. Very tasty.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP