Banana-Stuffed Cinnamon French Toast

Sunday, October 17, 2010

 This stuffed French was just right--not too sweet, but full of flavor. They were hearty, yet easy to make and the recipe cries out for creative twists.  My husband requested that next time I make it with strawberries instead of bananas and my daughter requested raspberries.  It sounds like I'll be making this healthy breakfast dish again very soon....

 Click here for printable recipe

The ingredients:

FILLING:
1 ripe banana, thinly sliced
2 Tbs. cream cheese
1 Tbs. powdered sugar
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
2 pinches ground nutmeg


FRENCH TOAST:
8 thin sliced whole wheat cinnamon-raisin bread
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 egg white
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
powdered sugar for dusting

For the filling:  Mash 2 rounded tablespoons banana slices in a small bowl with the back of a spoon.  (You should have about 2 tablespoons mashed).  Stir in the cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon zest, and nutmeg until smooth. 

To make the French toast:  Spread 4 slices of the bread with the banana filling, dividing evenly. 

Top with the remaining banana slices and bread slices to make 4 sandwiches. 

Whisk together the milk, egg, egg white, and vanilla in a shallow dish or pie plate until blended.  Dip the sandwiches into the egg mixture, turning them over with a spatula to coat both sides.

Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick frying pan or griddle over medium-low heat and coat with cooking spray.  Add the sandwiches and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until  golden brown on both sides, turning with a spatula half-way through the cooking.

To keep warm, place the French toast sandwiches on a baking sheet in a preheated 250°F oven.  Dust with powdered sugar.  Drizzle with syrup, if desired (we didn't use any).  Serve hot. Makes 4 French toast sandwiches.  Enjoy! 

4 comments:

Holly October 17, 2010 at 6:33 PM  

I love that its 2 slices of bread rather than slicing and trying to stuff the filling into the slit of a thicker bread:)

Debbie October 17, 2010 at 7:19 PM  

I could not think of a better breakfast...it looks fantastic!

Kim October 18, 2010 at 11:04 PM  

I love it when you do breakfast foods. They are always the most delicious looking recipes. This is one recipe that I can adapt to fit right into my diet. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous,  October 20, 2010 at 4:25 PM  

I LOVE breakfast recipes... this looks easy and delicious. Anxious to try on a lazy Saturday morning with coffee!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP