Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas with Roasted Tomatillo Sauce

Thursday, October 7, 2010

This delicious recipe I found in a Food Network magazine was right up mine and my husband's alley.    He must have commented a dozen times while we ate how much he liked it, then wondered when I would make it again.   The kids enjoyed it too, but weren't quite as effusive with their praise as was my husband.   With that kind of response, I'll make it again soon honey.  I promise. 

 Click here for printable recipe.  



The ingredients: 
1 small red onion, halved
1-1/2 lbs. tomatillos, husked and rinsed
1-2 serrano chile peppers, stemmed and seeded
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp. salt
pinch of sugar
16-20 corn tortillas
3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
2-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 Tbs. olive oil, plus more for greasing
3/4 cup feta cheese or queso fresco (I used feta cheese)

Directions:  Preheat the broiler.  Slice half of the onion into thin rings and set aside.  Place the other onion half, tomatillos, and serranos on a foil lined baking sheet and broil until the vegetables are soft and slightly brown, 7 - 10 minutes, turning as needed.

Transfer the vegetables and any liquid to a blender,

add broth and puree.  Season with salt and sugar.

 Meanwhile, stack the tortillas, wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave just until warm and soft, 1 minute; keep covered.  Toss the chicken with 2 cups shredded cheese  and chopped cilantro in a bowl.

Spoon a portion of the chicken mixture down the middle of each tortilla and roll up.

Place the enchiladas side by side in a lightly oiled 9x13-inch baking dish and brush with the 2 tablespoons olive oil.  Broil until crisp and golden, 3 minutes.

Pour the tomatillo sauce over the enchiladas and top with the remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.  Return to oven and broil until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown, 3-5 minutes.

Garnish with onion rings, feta cheese, and any remaining cilantro.

(NOTE:  We skipped the raw onion rings, since I knew my kids wouldn't touch them.  I don't recommend skipping the feta cheese.  I loved the flavor it added.)  Makes 6-8 servings.   Enjoy!

4 comments:

Karey October 7, 2010 at 9:23 PM  

You're making me drool, Lara! It was a weird day so I had chocolate garbanzo cake for dinner, and now I'm wishing I had some of these! Definitely putting this one on the menu.

Debbie October 8, 2010 at 9:27 AM  

This looks terrific. We would all enjoy that here and it wouldn't last long....a keeper!

Romney Family October 8, 2010 at 9:36 AM  

Oh those look so yummy!!! I am going to have to try them out!!!

Mom October 10, 2010 at 6:59 PM  

These look amazingly good. Definitely going to make them soon.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP