Old-Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

 I was introduced to coconut cream pie a while back and fell in love with its cool, creamy, coconutty flavor.  Since that day, I’ve daydreamed about enjoying the luscious treat again.   Thus began my  mission to duplicate it at home.   It took me trying a few different coconut cream pie recipes before I stumbled across this gem from the Lion House cookbook I had received when I was newly married.   Although I’ve had the cookbook for years and years, I had never paid attention to this recipe until now.  It didn’t take long to make and it was oh so perfectly smooth and creamy.  Make sure you toast the coconut before adding it to the pie, to really bring out the coconut flavor!  Loved it!

Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:
5 Tbs. cornstarch
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2-1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup half-and-half
3 egg yolks
2 Tbs. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup toasted coconut (plus more for sprinkling over the top)
9-inch baked pie shell
1 cup whipping cream


Directions:  In a sauce pan, mix cornstarch, sugar, and salt.  Whisk in milk and half-and-half and cook over medium heat until smooth and thick, stirring constantly. 

Pour small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; blend thoroughly, then add slowly to saucepan while continuing to whisk constantly.  Cook another 2-3 minutes.  Remove from heat and add butter, vanilla, and toasted coconut.  Pour into baked pie shell. 

                                                                 OOPSY DAISY! 

Chill 3-4 hours.  When ready to serve, whip cream and spread over pie or heap on individual servings.  Top with more toasted coconut, as desired. 

Enjoy! 





7 comments:

Rachel February 8, 2011 at 1:47 PM  

I've honestly never been a huge fan of coconut, but your picture is making me want to seriously reconsider trying it!!!

teresa February 8, 2011 at 9:10 PM  

oh my gosh, coconut cream is one of my all time faves! love this!

Unknown February 8, 2011 at 9:37 PM  

Never had this pie but it looks super good, very nice blog & nice looking recipes.

Debbie February 9, 2011 at 6:42 AM  

Hey, great minds think alike....I just made a coconut cream pie last night! Mine is cooked in the oven though, not on the stove. It's good but more of a custard pie. I am going to try yours next since I like cooking this type of pie on the stove. These darns pies are so addictive!!!

Cassie February 9, 2011 at 7:41 PM  

I love coconut cream pie! Haven't ever made my own.

Anonymous,  February 12, 2011 at 12:04 PM  

I haven't had a coconut cream pie in ages.... can't wait to try this! Thanks so much for linking to Saturday Swap!!!! Have a great weekend....

Southerncook February 12, 2011 at 12:49 PM  

My MIL use to make the most wonderful Coconut Creme Pie and yours reminded me of hers. I need to make one of these very soon. It was a favorite of DH's.

Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP