Cooking with Kids: Make-Your-Own Personal Pizza

Friday, February 11, 2011

Anyone who's been following along our cooking adventures here at the Recipe Shoebox very long knows that we have a family tradition of Friday Pizza Night at our house.  Sometimes we make it from scratch using this wonderful whole-grain crust recipe.    And sometimes I  break down and order from Domino's to have a night off of cooking.   No matter what we make or order though, usually someone in the family wishes I would have made/ordered another kind.  The Friday Pizza Night version I'm sharing today is one of our favorites though....make-your-own personal pizzas, which is little work for me, fun for the kids, and helps everyone to be happy with their dinner....win, win, win!  . 

Each person in the family grabs a sandwich thin and creates the pizza exactly the way they want it.  The ones that want plain cheese get their cheese.  The ones that want pepperoni, get their pepperoni.  My son's friend, who is allergic to milk, can make his without cheese. And I'll even make a bruschetta topping for the adults.

 Click here for printable recipe. 


The ingredients:

1 package sandwich thins*
Pizza sauce
Mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
Desired toppings: Pepperoni, ham, veggies, bruschetta, etc.

Directions:  Split sandwich thins, if desired, otherwise place on baking sheet.

This is a picture of an unsplit sandwich thin, which is the way I prefer to make my pizza.  A couple of my children prefer them ultra thin (as pictured below).  

Spread pizza sauce over each thin, then top with shredded cheese and desired toppings.  Bake at 425 degrees for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.  Enjoy! 

*NOTE:  I used Arnold brand sandwich thins, which is the same as the Orowheat brand in the west, and should be readily available in the bread sections of most grocery stores.  I've also seen store brands (such as Trader Joes) carry them.  



One of my very happy customers! 





3 comments:

teresa February 11, 2011 at 2:50 PM  

love this! we actually made pizza last night with the kids and they had a blast. your little one is adorable!

Katie May 4, 2011 at 4:05 PM  

Thank you for this idea! Rolling out dough for individual pizzas has always overwhelmed me. We had a crowd of kids over last weekend and made our pizzas "Recipe Shoebox Style," and it was a big hit! Pepperidge Farm now makes sandwich bread in the shape of goldfish, which was a double bonus. I also brushed my bread with this Italian dressing topping. Yum!

Anonymous,  January 22, 2012 at 6:50 PM  

My family used to do this but as French Bread Pizzas. Split the bread length-wise, then cut into desired size portion. Butter the cut side (to stop the sauce from soaking in), top with sauce, cheese and desired toppings. Bake until the cheese is melted and browned. Tasty, fun and pretty low-maintenance. Pro Tip: you can also use flour tortillas, english muffins or pita bread. You only need to butter a cut crust to stop the sauce from getting absorbed.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP