Caramel Apple Hot Cider

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

After two hurricanes and a month more of clouds and rain, it's been a wet, dreary autumn for us here in the DC area.   Finally, just when the sun started poking through a bit, the temperature dropped 25 degrees overnight and I found myself pulling out the sweatshirts and jackets already.    While I do have to say that  I have missed the absence of the sunshine over the last several weeks, the unseasonably cool temperatures haven't bothered me as much as some other people (namely my kids).   While I'd like to brag that my cool weather tolerance (notice I said cool, not cold) stems from a noble character trait for being warm-hearted or something, but in reality it stems from two major factors.   One being that I am a Minnesota girl at heart, having spent most of my growing-up years there.  And the second being the good excuse it is to make fall food.  I love the apples, the pumpkins, the soups, and even the casseroles.  After a slow summer of cooking, it's getting me excited to get back into the kitchen again! 

This past weekend the weather was in the upper 40's and I got a hankering for some hot apple cider.  After perusing around for a good recipe, I found this little gem...Caramel Apple Cid
er.  It's as awesome as it sounds and not at all overwhelmingly sweet like I was worried it might be.  For full flavor, I definitely recommend using real apple cider (it will be brown and cloudy in appearance) and not clear apple juice which has been filtered.  I should also mention, that in the recipe it  pointed out that American apple cider is not the same as the alcoholic apple cider commonly found in other countries.  In other words, this recipe is G-rated for entire families!  :)    

So next time you're in the mood for something toasty to warm you up after a day at the pumpkin patch or trick-or-treating or you're looking for an elegant drink to serve at a fall party...this recipe is for you. 
Enjoy! 

Recipe Source:  Our Best Bites
Click here for a printable recipe. 

The ingredients: 


1/2 gallon (64-ounces) apple cider (not apple juice)
1/2 cup orange juice
1 orange
8 whole cloves (in the spice section)
2 cinnamon sticks
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/3 cup caramel sauce plus more to taste if needed (I used caramel ice cream topping)
Sweetened whipping cream


Directions:
 
In a large stock pot over medium-high heat, add the apple cider, orange juice, cinnamon sticks and allspice. 

Wash the orange and gently stab the whole cloves into it.   If you're doubling the recipe, still just use one orange with double the cloves. 

Gently place the orange into the stockpot with the apple cider mixture.  Bring cider to a boil and reduce heat to a low simmer.  Simmer on low for 60 minutes. 

Remove the orange after the 60 minutes, even if you plan on simmering the cider for longer.  The orange will eventually fall apart and will add a bitter taste to the cider. 

Add caramel sauce, to taste.  We thought that about 1/2 cup was perfect.  Stir in caramel until dissolved.

 Serve topped with a dollop of sweetened whipping cream, a drizzle of caramel, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. 

Enjoy! 


Don't miss a single recipe here at Recipe Shoebox.   Sign up for free email updates on the right. 

4 comments:

Julie October 4, 2011 at 4:12 PM  

Sounds amazing, and a great way to bring on autumn :)

Bon-Bon October 4, 2011 at 11:46 PM  

Definitely one I want to try. As usual, simply awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Cheese with Noodles October 6, 2011 at 1:06 AM  

I saw this on Our Best Bites a couple weeks ago and really want to try it! It looks so good, especially with the whipped cream on top. We buy R.W. Knudsen apple juice (which really is apple cider- it's made from whole apples and ya can't see through it) which is so great on its own that I can only imagine what it's like with these additions :D

Sarah September 25, 2013 at 11:32 PM  

I just made this tonight - it was cold and rainy outside and the perfect treat to keep warm! We loved it and I'm excited to make this all fall and winter with homemade cider!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP