Crockpot Corn Bread

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Look out for new crockpot recipes all week here on Recipe Shoebox.  Jen and I have been experimenting and have some new, no-fuss recipes to share with you,  just in time for the upcoming  holiday season (only 73 shopping days until Christmas)! 

Whenever I make tacos I always feel the need to make corn bread. I love a good moist, flavorful corn bread. (I absolutely love the sweet corn Tomalito from Chevy's , but that's another story and yes, I'm working on duplicating it!).  On warm days when I don't want to turn on the oven, I turn to my crock-pot for making corn bread. This recipe is a great basic corn bread recipe, which could be tweaked in many different ways (perhaps a can of diced green chilies, or some bacon bits, or a sprinkle of cheese).  If you try something good, let me know! 
Click here for printable recipe. 

Posted by Jen.


The Ingredients:

1 1/4 c flour
3/4 c cornmeal
1/4-1/2 c sugar (depends on how sweet you like it)
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1 1/4 c milk
1/3 c melted butter
1/2 c sour cream (optional if you want it more moist)
1 c sweet corn kernels, (optional if you like that sort of thing)
(you could try creamed corn but just use about 1 c milk instead. I would have used it, but I didn't have any one hand)

The Directions:

Thoroughly grease the inside of your crock-pot.
Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
Mix in the wet ingredients so it is all blended and moistened. Pour into the greased crock-pot.


Cover and cook on High for 2.5-3 hours. It will get dark around the edges, but you want to make sure that the inside is cooked. When the inside is cooked through (you know this by inserting a tooth pick), then turn the heat off and remove the lid to let any excess liquid go away.This is a good basic recipe. Have fun doctoring it up. Let me know if you have any other interesting things you like to add to corn bread. I'm always up to try something new.

7 comments:

Debbie October 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM  

Great recipe. I've been using my crockpot lately and definitely want to give this a try. I HAVE to have cornbread when I eat chili!!!

Lynn October 12, 2011 at 6:22 PM  

I never thought to make cornbread in the crockpot, Lara, but what a great idea. I'll bet it's nice and moist that way.

teresa October 12, 2011 at 8:19 PM  

how yummy! i love that there are actual corn kernels in it!

The Roberts Rollercoaster RIde October 12, 2011 at 9:57 PM  

been reading your recipes for a while now and love them. i have found when i cook "bread/dessert" things in the crockpot that by putting a layer of 3 paper towels on the top and then putting the lid on helps catch the liquid that usually collects on the lid.

Katie October 13, 2011 at 11:53 AM  

This looks perfect for a fall day!

PS - Please keep up your pursuit of Chevy's sweet corn tomalito,and when you hit on it, please share! It's my favorite!

Katie October 13, 2011 at 11:56 AM  

PSS - My friend Jen, who is a culinary school grad & excellent baker, recommended this recipe. I haven't tried it yet, but she says it is very Chevy's!

Cornbread Pudding
2 (15 oz) can cream-style corn
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
1 stick melted butter, cooled a bit
2 eggs
1 (8.5 ounce) package dry corn muffin mix (Penguin brand from Costco is the only kind I have tried)
salt and pepper to taste
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch casserole dish.
Combine all ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Spread evenly into the pan.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Cornbread should be spoonable and but not runny and a nice golden brown.

Kellie October 13, 2011 at 4:00 PM  

I have to make cornbread for an upcoming chili feed, thanks for the recipe...I will be using this one for sure!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP