"Wormy" Apple Bars

Monday, October 24, 2011

I know I've said it before, but I LOVE HALLOWEEN! I (and the kids) have so much fun coming up with Halloween menus and different treats. Of course I have a lot of help from different recipes I find in magazines and online. Wormy apple bars is a recipe that I found in a Pillsbury magazine that was on display at the check out line in 2007. (yes, I collect those little Halloween magazines every year). This year I made a 'creepy crawly' theme dinner and these wormy bars were the dessert. They are yummy and fun for the kids. Add a few gummy worms when you serve it for extra worminess.
Click here for printable recipe. 

Posted by Jen.

The Ingredients:

3/4 c flour
3/4 c oats
1/3 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c butter, softened
1 (21 oz) can apple pie filling
1/3 c sugar
1-2 tsp cinnamon (depending on your taste)
1 refrigerated pie crust

The Directions:
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Grease the bottom of a 13x9 pan. In a medium bowl mix together the flour, oats, sugar, and butter with mixer until well blended. Press mixture into bottom of pan.Spoon the pie filling over crust. Bake 10 minutes.Meanwhile, in another bowl, mix together the sugar and the cinnamon. Roll out pie dough and cut into 1/4 inch slices. (Use your pizza cutter. It makes it so much quicker!). Separate pieces of dough and toss in bowl of cinnamon sugar.
Sprinkle sugared pieces evenly over the apples. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until crust is golden. Cool and cut into bars.

Enjoy! 

TASTE NOTES:  This is actually a bit sugary. (Not that the kids mind) If you can find sugar free apple pie filling then perhaps it would be less sugary. OR if you have your own home made apple pie filling without much sugar that would be great too. If you wanted to use fresh apples, I would cook them down separately and thicken them before adding them to this. That way the juices from fresh apples won't make the crust(s) soggy.


The worm tossed pie crust could actually be a fun addition to a regular apple pie too!



2 comments:

Peggy Clyde October 24, 2011 at 10:40 AM  

This looks like it will be so fun for Halloween. Please tell me what other things you have planned for the dinner. We were trying to do a Halloween dinner also, and need more ideas. Thanks.

Jen October 24, 2011 at 1:51 PM  

Peggy, you could also do bugs in a blanket (check out a post from last week) and snake sandwiches (check out the Stromboli post from a couple weeks ago). I actually made some bread dough and shaped it into a long log and then shaped it into a snake. Before baking I added some food coloring to an egg wash and 'painted" the snake. Serve with lunch meat and other things you like on your sandwiches. Also check out our Taco tart recipe on here. You can cut out pumpkin shape pie crust and fill it with taco meat. then do an orange egg wash. Add BBQ sauce to a bowl of chicken nuggets with a wooden skewer stuck in them and call them "stake through the heart" chicken nuggets. Check back here all week for more Halloween ideas. There are a ton of ideas on line as well. Just google "Halloween food" One of my favorite sites is Hungry Halloween.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP