Sunflower Blossom cookies (Peanut free!)

Monday, December 10, 2012

I absolutely love peanut butter cookies and the PB Blossom cookies with the chocolate kisses are one of my favorites.  Unfortunately the day I found out my child was deathly allergic to peanuts was the day I also realized that my children would not grow up with these cookies.  I also realized that I would not be making (or eating) them any more as well.  I was so bummed, but we make sacrifices to keep our children safe. 

Then a friend introduced me to Sunbutter, which is a spread made completely out of sunflower seeds and is peanut free.  I was hooked.  I had tried to make cookies with soy butter and it did not fill the void for my PB cookies.  But Sunbutter cookies were a hit (even for me).  So for all you nut allergy people out there, this one is for you.  (or for all those nut free schools and you a going crazy trying to figure out what treats to bring to school.)   eat as many as you want...they're NUT FREE!!! 
Click here for printable recipe.

Post by: Jen
Recipe inspired by SunButter website

Ingredients:
 1 c SunButter spread, crunchy or smooth  (find it near the peanut butter or in the health food section of the grocery store.  Lara gets hers at Trader Joes.)
1 c butter, softened
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 c flour

1/2 c sugar (to roll cookie dough in)
1 bag of Hershey Kisses

Directions:
Cream together the SunButter and the butter until smooth. (Unless you're using the crunchy kind that is, but you know what I mean)

 Add the sugars and mix well until it's all creamed together.
 Add the eggs and vanilla.  Then mix in the dry ingredients.
 And here's the dough.  (By the way if you forget the eggs, like I did with the first batch, you can eat as much raw dough as you'd like.  In fact, I rolled the eggless dough into balls and then dipped them into chocolate.  Yummy).
 Refrigerate your dough for about 1/2 hour.  This will make it easier to roll into balls.

Turn on oven and set to 375 degrees.  After refrigeration, roll into small balls and roll balls in remaining 1/2 cup sugar.  (which hopefully you put into a small bowl)
 Place evenly on cookie sheet and bake in 375 degree oven for 8 minutes.
 Meanwhile, unwrap your chocolates.  Kids can help with this as well.
 When the cookies come out of the oven, immediately start pressing the chocolate Kisses in the middle of the cookie.

 I love how those little cracks appear on the sides when you press in the chocolate.  Work quickly and remove cookies to a wire rack to cool.  This recipe made a lot, as you can see, but I can't remember how many because they got eaten up rather quickly (and I sent them to school as well).  But my son was so happy to finally be able to try one of these.  It's so wonderful watching your children be able to enjoy the same foods you grew up with.  Thank you SunButter!

1 comments:

Tonia December 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM  

What a great idea! We don't have any nut allergies in our house but some of the children at our church do. These will be perfect for our next church potluck!

I appreciate that you shared this recipe - I never would have thought to replace peanut butter with sunbutter in a recipe like that.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP