Chipotle Chicken Fajitas

Friday, May 22, 2009

A year ago grilling was my husband's job, which pretty much meant we ate hot dogs or hamburgers every Saturday. One day last Spring I got a bug to give the grill a try too. Glen had to take me outside to instruct me on every tiny detail about how it worked, since I had always kept myself oblivious to this backyard appliance. What I soon discovered is that we had been missing out all these years and soon our summer menu was filled with fun things from the grill that didn't heat up our house! These Chipotle Chicken Fajitas are my first experiment of this summer and I have to say they were a smashing success.

Click here for printable recipe.  

The ingredients:
1 bottle (12 oz.) chili sauce
1/4 cup lime juice
4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE SEEDS OUT or it will make it exceedingly spicy)
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup molasses
4 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 Tbs. olive oil
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
10 flour tortillas (8-inch)
1-1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend

Place the chili sauce, lime juice, and chipotle peppers (add one at a time to taste) in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Transfer 1/2 cup to a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1-4 hours.

Pour remaining marinade into a small bowl; add the vinegar, brown sugar, and molasses. Cover and refrigerate.

On six metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread chicken, green peppers, and onion. Brush with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 10-16 minutes or until chicken is not longer pink, turning occasionally.

Unskewer chicken and vegetables into a large bowl; add 1/2 cup chipotle/molasses mixture and toss to coat. Keep warm.

Grill tortillas, uncovered, over medium heat for 45-55 seconds on each side or until warmed. Top with chicken mixture, tomatoes, cheese, and remaining chipotle/molasses mixture. Makes 10 fajitas.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

Katy ~ May 22, 2009 at 2:52 PM  

I cannot begin to tell you how good this looks to me!! Oh, my goodness, I NEED this. We are so going to have this.

Jo May 22, 2009 at 5:21 PM  

Lara - these look delish... will definitely be trying these. My kids love anything they can wrap and eat with their hands!! LOL But don't all kids??

I love your new header also.

Jo xx

Kristen May 22, 2009 at 8:26 PM  

I read this and decided that we needed to eat fajita's this weekend - thanks for the inspiration! (also, you may want to enter this in girlichef's chili giveaway, I think she still has a few days left to enter - I have her link on my blog if you don't)

teresa May 23, 2009 at 12:09 PM  

Oh my goodness, I love all of the ingredients! I've never grilled with molasses before, but I bet it's wonderful!

Coleens Recipes May 24, 2009 at 3:49 AM  

This looks super yummy, I'm new to chipotle, so I need to be careful. Your new page format is SO CUTE!!!

Mirien May 25, 2009 at 12:43 AM  

Good for you, figuring out the manly grill! Me...still oblivious. I like not being in charge of cooking now and then. But I'm sure this one would be a big hit. I'll prepare it and he can use the grill.

Spryte June 16, 2009 at 3:28 PM  

This is right up my alley!!!!!

Mahmudul Hasan May 7, 2013 at 3:46 AM  


This is one of my favorite dish.I'm always happy, when my mom gave this in front of me.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP