Pesto Tortellini and Vegetable Salad

Sunday, May 24, 2009

I had this recipe clipped out of the newspaper a from a few years ago. I adjusted it a little to fit our family's preferences, and ended up totally impressed with this fresh, flavorful, and easy summer meal. The kids picked around the onions, but otherwise all came back for seconds. I look forward to the little bit that there was left over for my lunch tomorrow. I love these filling meals that don't heat up my house and it's perfect for a Memorial Day picnic!

The ingredients:
1 Tbs. olive oil
16 oz. cheese filled tortellini (in the refrigerated or frozen section of grocery store)
1 yellow pepper, cut into matchstick pieces
1 red pepper, cut into matchstick pieces
2 Tbs. red onion, diced
3 scallions, thinly sliced
1 shallot, peeled and finely diced
3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed and cooked in boiling water for 3 minutes
1/2 cup chopped black olives
1/3 cup prepared pesto
Salt and pepper to taste

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil with a tablespoon of olive oil Cook the tortellini according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water. Remove tortellini to a bowl and toss with 3 tablespoons of the pasta water.

Add the peppers, onion, scallions, shallot, peas, olives, and pesto to the tortellini; toss to combine. If the "sauce" is too thick, add another tablespoon of the pasta water. Season with salt and pepper.

Refrigerate for up to 1 day before serving. Makes 6 servings.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Heidi May 24, 2009 at 4:06 PM  

What a great looking picnic salad. I love meals like this one!

teresa May 24, 2009 at 5:30 PM  

It so happens that I have a BBQ tomorrow and tortellini on hand! Great idea!

Coleens Recipes May 24, 2009 at 8:17 PM  

I love salads like this! It's all I need.

Sara May 24, 2009 at 9:37 PM  

I just found your wonderful blog while googling BYU brownie recipe! Thanks for posting so many wonderful recipes--I've already picked out 2 for dinner this week and will for sure be back for more! :)

Kristen May 24, 2009 at 10:22 PM  

Sounds good - I love that there's pesto in this!

Anonymous,  June 26, 2011 at 8:54 PM  

My family loves Chicken Pesto Pasta Salad, where I mix mayonnaise with the pesto, use red pepper, olives, onion, chicken of course, toasted walnuts, and gluten free pasta. This recipe sounds great for those who prefer a non mayo, or sour cream based dressing, and can eat regular tortellini.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP