Orange Jello Cream Cake

Monday, May 4, 2009

This easy peasy cake is cool, creamy, and perfect for hot summer days. My son chose this delightful moist cake as his birthday cake this year, except he wanted it lemon-lime flavored rather than orange. Substituting lemon-lime for orange worked great and I imagine any other flavor made by Kool-Aid and Jell-o would work well too!





The ingredients:

CAKE:
1 pkg. lemon cake mix (dry)
3 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 envelope unsweetened orange Kool-Aid
1 cup water

JELLO TOPPING:
1 cup boiling water
1 pkg. (3-oz. each) orange Jell-o

FROSTING:
1 pkg. (3.4-oz.) instant vanilla pudding
1 pkg. (3-oz. each) orange Jell-o
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups milk
1 carton Cool Whip

In mixing bowl combine cake, Kool-Aid, eggs, water, and oil. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into ungreased 9x13" baking dish and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes.

Using a meat fork poke holes in cake, then cool for 30 minutes. In a bowl dissolve one package of Jell-o in boiling water, stir in cold water, and pour over cake. Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours. In a bowl combine milk, pudding, remaining Jell-o, and beat on low for 2 minutes. Fold in Cool Whip and frost.
(I'm not known for my pretty cakes, but next time I make this cake I plan on making it in 2 round cake pans, popping them out, then adding the Jell-o topping and then putting a Cool Whip layer between them before stacking and frosting.)

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Heidi May 4, 2009 at 1:50 PM  

This sounds so good! I love jello cakes. What a great sounding cake :)

Katy ~ May 4, 2009 at 2:17 PM  

It's been a little while since I've had a Jello cake. Never had it with orange. Why didn't I think of that?! I love citrus! My mouth is salivating at the mere thought.

Fun and delicious post and one that will be visiting a table very near me very soon!!

Melissa @ For the Love of Health May 4, 2009 at 5:34 PM  

Yummy! Looks like it isn't too hard to make either! Awesome!

teresa May 4, 2009 at 5:43 PM  

This looks really good, I love cake, especially a moist orange flavored one!

Kristen May 4, 2009 at 8:49 PM  

what a fresh looking cake, I bet your kids love it!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP