Bratwurst in a Slow Cooker

Thursday, July 7, 2011

I love brats. (No not brats, as in undisciplined people, but as in bratwurst). Maybe it's because I grew up in the mid-west and we had them every summer on the grill, or maybe it's because they just taste so much better than hot dogs or maybe it's because I love cooking on a grill. In any case I love brats. Unfortunately, I do not have a grill. I have learned to cook them in the oven and that works just fine too, but when it's hot out, I don't want to turn on the oven. So, it's back to my trusty crock pot. I made these the other day for my family to see how well they would turn out (because I'm cooking a whole bunch of them on the 4th of July and I wanted to try out the crock pot.) They were a success and I fully intend to keep cooking them this way until I get my grill back.

Click here for printable recipe. 


The Ingredients:
1 package Bratwurst
1 onion
apple juice
Dijon mustard (optional)

The Directions:
Brown the sides of the brats in a skillet on the stove. (This will let them still have a nice coloring afterwards like the grill)Meanwhile, slice your onion.If desired, mix some apple juice with a couple spoonfuls of Dijon mustard. Place a layer of onions on the bottom of the crockpot. Top with the brats, and then place the rest of the onions on top. (If desired you could also slice up a green pepper to put in here as well. I personally like it with peppers and onions, but my husband is a brat purist)Cover the brats with apple juice*.Put on lid and cook in crock pot for 5-6 hours on low or until juices runs clear. Because you browned them beforehand you may not actually cook them that long.

Remove when done and serve with crusty or hogie buns and whatever condiments you like. I like just ketchup and relish. My hubby likes relish, horseradish and ketchup. My boys like them plain.

If you are into tailgating (with college football season coming up) then this is a great way to cook your brats. *There are plenty of recipes out there for cooking brats in beer in a crockpot. I don't drink beer, so therefore this is with the apple juice substitution.

10 comments:

SnoWhite July 7, 2011 at 4:00 PM  

I typically would be hesitant to cook them in any other way than the grill..., but I trust you, especially because you are a mid-westerner at heart :)

Arlene Delloro July 7, 2011 at 4:56 PM  

I think the addition of the apple juice is genius and I am definitely going to make them in the crockpot. In fact, I may be lazy and not brown them at all. Yummy!

Anonymous,  July 8, 2011 at 8:53 AM  

This is brilliant. Another fabulous thing to do with a crockpot. I had been trying to use my panini press to "grill" my brats. That was okay but not great. This seems like a much better plan.

Jackie Koll December 30, 2011 at 8:22 AM  

I made this recipe for my sons 2nd birthday party on Dec 17th. They were a HUGE hit. I heard such things as "These are the best brats I've ever had" from people how are normally bit time grill people!! I would agree - they are fantastic. I LOVE Brats on the grill so I would still have to put this just slightly behind a grilled brat but by slightly I mean a "photo finish" HA! Thanks for this great idea :-)

Anonymous,  October 16, 2012 at 7:37 PM  

Just made this for a pot luck at work. Big hit. I grilled them last night and added all the ingredients to the crock pot and refrigerated over night. Plugged in at work this AM and people kept sniffing on their way by. Yummmm :)

Rebekah January 20, 2013 at 4:29 PM  

I wish I'd remembered this recipe earlier today! I have brats to cook for this evening but it's already 4:30 - I guess I'll give the bacon wrapped brats a try (but am going to try your apple juice substitution instead of beer!) and have to come back for this one the next time we have some to enjoy! :)

Heather Greeson Trice July 29, 2013 at 1:05 PM  

We do this in the crockpot and then put them on the grill just long enough to brown the outside. they are so tender and juicy. It is awesome.

Anonymous,  October 28, 2014 at 5:43 AM  

I will make this, but I think I'll put some kraut in there, too. Sounds delish! Thank you.

DiLina April 24, 2017 at 6:35 AM  

For most recipes, boil brats requires a boiling time of eight to 10 minutes over medium-high heat.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP