Orzo with Roasted Vegetables

Sunday, April 19, 2009

This bright, flavorful side dish was the perfect accompaniment to a hearty chicken dish and with its cheese, vegetables, and pasta could even serve as a well-rounded light summer meal.

The ingredients:
1 small eggplant, peeled and diced in 3/4-inch pieces

1 red bell pepper, diced

1 yellow pepper, diced

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/3 cup olive oil

1-1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1/2 lb. orzo
4 green onions, minced (white and green parts)

1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
3/4 lb. feta cheese, diced (not crumbled)

15 fresh basil leaves, cut into strips


DRESSING:

1/3 cup lemon juice

1/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

Preheat oven to 425°. Toss the eggplant, bell peppers, onion, and garlic with the olive oil, salt, and pepper on a large baking sheet. Roast for 40 minutes, until browned, turning once with a spatula (mine only took 25-30 minutes before they were browned).

Meanwhile, cook the orzo in boiling salted water for 7-9 minutes, until tender. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl.

Add roasted vegetables to orzo, scraping all the liquid and seasonings from the roasting pan into the pasta bowl.

For dressing, combine lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper and pour on orzo and vegetables. Cool to room temperature. Add the green onions, pine nuts, feta cheese, and basil. Serve at room temperature.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Coleens Recipes April 19, 2009 at 8:05 PM  

What an excellent side dish!! I love it. I can see a nice reheated bowl of this for lunch the next day too!

Heidi April 22, 2009 at 11:07 AM  

I'm officially in love with your blog! I just printed off a ton a recipes to try. Thanks!!

Kristen April 22, 2009 at 8:55 PM  

Hi, it's my first time stopping by and I like what I see. This orzo dish looks perfect to get me out of the winter casseroles!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP