Lion House Lemon Meringue Pie

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Don't forget to check out and "Like" Recipe Shoebox's new Facebook page.   :) 
I am more well known among my friends for my apple pie making skills, but truth be told, my favorite pie is lemon meringue.  In fact, I credit the humble lemon meringue pie as the catalyst for me starting to make pies in the first place.  It was way back in high school and for some forgotten reason I decided that I really wanted to make a lemon meringue pie from scratch.  Of course I didn't really know what scratch meant back then and with my babysitting money I bought refrigerated pie crust and some Jello lemon pudding mix.  Although that first pie turned out quite ugly, it marked the beginning of my love affair with pie making.  Since that day 20+ years ago I've made hundreds of pies and still lemon meringue is my favorite and this classic recipe from Lion House makes a great one!

Recipe Source: Lion House Cookbook (an out-of-print cookbook that is among my oldest and most well-loved cookbooks of all time)
Click here for printable recipe. 

Posted by Lara.

The ingredients:




LEMON FILLING:
1-1/4 cups sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
6 Tbs. cornstarch
1-1/2 cups cold water
3 eggs yolks (reserve egg whites for meringue)
6 Tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice (or 1/2 cup for a slightly tarter flavor)
1 tsp. finely grated lemon rind
2 Tbs. butter
Baked 9-inch pie shell (see this recipe for the best crust ever)

MERINGUE: (if you like meringue piled higher on the pie, then I recommend making a one-and-a-half batch of the meringue)
3 egg whites (use from the separated eggs in the filling)
6 Tbs. sugar

Directions
(these directions are modified somewhat from the cookbook):
In a medium size saucepan combine sugar, salt, and cornstarch.  Slowly add cold water, while whisking rapidly.  Stir in egg yolks and place pan over medium heat.  Heat mixture until smooth and thick (30-60 seconds of boiling).   Remove from heat and add lemon juice, rind, and butter. Stir until combined.

Pour filling into baked pie shell and spread meringue over top while filling is hot.

For meringue: Beat the egg whites on high speed adding the sugar gradually while beating. Continue beating until mixture stands in stiff peaks. (You'll want to watch it carefully, because it is possible to beat egg whites for too long and lose the creamy texture).

Pile on hot lemon filling;

seal well to edge of crust and touch meringue lightly with the back of the spoon to form peaks. 
Bake at 375° for about 15 minutes or until delicately browned.

Cool thoroughly before serving, preferably at least 4 hours.

Enjoy!



Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox.  Sign up on the right for free email updates. 

7 comments:

Debbie March 21, 2012 at 6:47 AM  

One of my favorite pies too. I love your pie crust...it looks so pretty and perfect! To be honest, I love pie crusts too and could just sit and eat only that!

Kim March 21, 2012 at 7:32 AM  

Lemon meringue pie is my favorite too and this one is beautiful! Your crust looks perfect and I love those peaks on the meringue. I bet this was gone in no time at all.

Jen March 21, 2012 at 11:58 AM  

Lemon Meringue is my favorite as well. Now I feel the need to go make it.

K March 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM  

I so want to make this. Once my stomach is feeling well, I will have to try this!

Jackie Koll March 22, 2012 at 9:35 PM  

Was trying to decide what to make for our dessert for the week and saw this recipe . . .wanted something lighter and more summer-y . .. this fits the bill!! Thanks :-)

teresa March 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM  

pure pure heaven. lemon meringue pie was my favorite growing up. love it.

Tabby April 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM  

This is my favorite flavored pie! Thank you for the wonderful recipe it's really lovely!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP