Wheat Berry Salad

Friday, August 21, 2009

I have these big buckets of wheat in my house that we got as food storage for a "rainy day". I used to always grind it into fresh flour to make homemade bread with, but I've found the older and busier my kids get, the less I actually get out my wheat grinder (or bake homemade bread). I found this recipe in a little recipe book a friend compiled and I was so excited to use my wheat in some other way than for flour. I loved the hearty texture, and look forward to trying it again and experimenting with other wheat berry recipes.


**NOTE: If you do not happen to have buckets of wheat sitting around your house, you can find wheat berries at your local natural food store. Our Whole Foods grocery store sells them in the bulk section for $1.29/lb. **
Click here for Printable Recipe.


The ingredients:
1 cup hard winter wheat berries
3 cups water
1 cup finely diced red onion
6 Tbs. olive oil, divided
2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
3 scallions, minced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 carrot, diced
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt

Place the wheat berries and 3 cups of boiling salted water in a sauce pan and cook, uncovered over low heat for about 45 minutes or until soft. Drain.

Saute the red onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium low heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the remaining 4 tablespoons of olive oil and the balsamic vinegar. In a large bowl, combine the wheat berries, onions, scallions, red pepper, carrot, salt, and pepper. Allow the salad to sit for at least 30 minutes for the wheat berries to absorb the sauce. Season to taste and serve at room temperature.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

annalisa August 21, 2009 at 6:42 PM  

i want to try this some time! it definitely looks interesting and different from what i would normally cook.

Sophia August 21, 2009 at 10:12 PM  

mmm! Sounds good! I've actually been looking for grain recipes...I'll bet bulgur will work in this, too! :-)

Jodi August 21, 2009 at 11:29 PM  

Oooooh that looks like a great way to work on rotating our wheat. Yum!

Katy ~ August 22, 2009 at 5:35 AM  

I have never ever eaten wheat berries, and aren't you just the GROOVIEST for grinding your own wheat. You totally rock!

This looks like a very tasty recipe. Would love to give it a try!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP