Pizza Joes

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Since school has started my life has gone from the normal busyness of being a mom with 5 kids to "super-crazy-busy-mom-that-has-to-be-in-three-places-at-once". Needless to say my "extra" things like cooking new recipes has gone right down the tubes and I find myself turning more and more to our old stand-by dinners. You know the kind where you always have the ingredients on hand and can throw it together in 10 minutes flat and everyone is reasonably happy with them. For me it's tortilla soup, world's easiest enchiladas, taco salad, or just plain spaghetti or tacos. It's fine and better than eating out, but sometimes gets a little old after a while. Here's a new one I found in one of the Taste of Home magazines that I am adding it to my crazy night list. It's a combination between sloppy joes and pizza, both of which the kids love. It took me 10-15 minutes to make and the kids were thrilled to be eating something different!


The ingredients: Click here for printable recipe.

1 lb. ground beef (or turkey)
1 onion, diced
1 jar (14-oz) pizza sauce
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
1 cup chopped pepperoni
1 cup shredded mozzarella (or pepper jack) cheese
6 hamburger buns, split (and toasted, if desired)
(Optional): 1 red pepper, diced (the original recipe didn't call for it, but I had an extra one I wanted to use)

Brown ground beef (or turkey) together with diced onion until meat is cooked through. Drain. Add jar of pizza sauce, spices, and chopped pepperoni. Cook on medium heat just until heated through. Serve hot over toasted hamburger bun and topped with mozzarella cheese. Makes 6 servings.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

Rachel September 24, 2009 at 2:23 PM  

What a perfect quick weeknight dinner idea!

Heidi September 24, 2009 at 9:08 PM  

What a quick and easy meal! I can't wait to try this one out. I think my people will love it!

Kim September 25, 2009 at 12:56 PM  

Sounds great! I have about the same go-to list of recipes that I make when we're busy. Spaghetti and tacos are the top two things I go to quite often. Everyone likes them and they are so fast and easy. These pizza joes look yummy.

MaRiN September 25, 2009 at 5:38 PM  

Love it! So quick and simple. I love cute mini pepperonis too.

Katy ~ September 25, 2009 at 8:36 PM  

This is absolutely inspired! Now why hadn't I ever thought of a sandwich like this. It would cause BIG smiles in this house!!

teresa September 25, 2009 at 9:09 PM  

i just saw this in tofhome myself, and added it to my menu plan, i'm so glad you liked them!

Melody September 27, 2009 at 5:35 PM  

Nice change from the regular sloppy joes. They look great!

Anonymous,  September 28, 2009 at 12:16 AM  

That is such a fabulous idea! You always have the most simple but brilliant recipes. I would love to try my own spin on this! :D

Jessie September 28, 2009 at 9:46 AM  

Those looks so yummy!! My kids would absoulutely love these!!

karen March 26, 2010 at 1:28 PM  

THis is one of my new favorites. We have it about 1 a week! I can't go back to boring sloppy joes after this. THanks!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP