Cooking with Kids (Thanksgiving): Oreo Turkey Treats

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

After all those fun Halloween treats we made a few weeks ago, my kids were getting the itch to try something fun for Thanksgiving too.  One of the kids' teachers made these last year with their class and I thought they were just adorable, so we decided to try it at home.  My younger kids needed some help with the details, but my older ones (6+) had no problems and totally enjoyed themselves in the process. They're fun, cute, festive, and easy to make. Can't beat that!  

(Click here for another version of Oreo Turkeys and some cute Turkey Cupcakes). 


Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:
(per turkey)
2 double stuffed Oreo cookies
7 candy corn
1 Whopper candy
1 pkg. squeezable white icing (with a fine tip)
1 pkg. squeezable red icing/gel (with a fine tip)

Directions: 
Place a little stripe of frosting about half way around the Oreo, between the cookies.
Gently wiggle the candy corns down in between the chocolate layers to create the "feathers".
Remove the top chocolate layer off the other Oreo. Put a little stripe of white icing and place the Oreo filled with the candy corn feathers upright into it pushing down slightly.
 Decorate the whopper with eyes and a wattle...


Place a tiny dab of frosting in front to hold the whopper "head".
VOILA!!!!
Total Thanksgiving cuteness!

Enjoy!


Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox.  Sign up on the right for free email updates. 

8 comments:

redkathy November 11, 2009 at 10:30 AM  

What a clever idea! My great niece has been visiting with me on Sunday afternoons. I might just do this with her. Thanks for sharing.

Arlene Delloro November 11, 2009 at 11:45 AM  

Adorable! A great kid project.

Lara November 11, 2009 at 1:32 PM  

I was just wondering, "K".....are you talking about the cookies or the kids? :)

teresa November 11, 2009 at 3:32 PM  

i remember doing something similar to this last year, too cute!

Katy November 11, 2009 at 6:40 PM  

Is this like the cutest or what!? Regardless of age, I think these wold bring a smile and a "Can I have one of those?" Loving this idea!

Kelly November 11, 2009 at 9:34 PM  

OMG I love these! So adorable and perfect for kids...I think we might be trying these out this weekend.

Thanks for sharing!

Kim November 15, 2009 at 9:07 PM  

These are so cute!! Plus, they do look easy enough for the kids to do and we have a lot of whoppers right now leftover from Halloween. What a great idea :D

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP