Tomato-Basil Parmesan Soup in the Crockpot

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

You'd think that after 17-years of marriage and five kids that I would be a crockpot cooking expert.  Truth be told, I've never owned a crockpot until this past Christmas (a few weeks ago) when my sister felt compelled to enlighten me in the ways of slow cooking by giving me my first crockpot and a crockpot cookbook.    Being a crockpot virgin  I worried about everything being mushy and flavorless after cooking all day.  Thankfully it just wasn't so with this delicious Tomato-Basil Parmesan Soup I discovered from Karen at 365 Days of Slow Cooking. It was totally delicious and I was shocked to discover that I really enjoyed the chunky, definitely non-mushy texture of it.  We served it up with some hot French Peasant Bread and unanimously agreed on a five star rating for this one.


 Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:

2 cans (14-ounces each) diced tomatoes, with juice
1 cup finely diced celery
1 cup finely diced carrots
4 cups chicken broth (I used 4 cups of water + 4 chicken bouillon cubes)
onion, finely diced
1/2 bay leaf
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 Tbs. dried basil
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1 cup Parmesan cheese
2 cups half and half, warmed
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Directions:
In a large crockpot, combine tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, bay leaf, oregano, and basil.
 
Cover and cook on low for 5-7  hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft. 
 

About an hour before serving prepare a roux:  Melt butter and whisk in flour until smooth.

Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup from the slow cooker.  Add another 3 cups soup and stir until smooth. 

Add all back into the slow cooker.  Stir and add Parmesan cheese, warmed half-and-half, salt, and pepper.  Cover and cook on low for another hour until ready to serve.  Serve with fresh hot bread.   Makes about 2 quarts--6-8 servings. 
Enjoy!

10 comments:

Arlene Delloro February 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM  

That looks really delicious. A local bakery serves this on Mondays, but I always seem to have something else to do. Now I can make it at home.

Betty @ Little Farm in the Big City February 2, 2011 at 2:45 PM  

Hey Lara, I come here so often looking for recipes that I had to give you an award on my blog. Have a great day!

teresa February 3, 2011 at 1:14 PM  

soup seems like the perfect thing for the crockpot! i just love the flavors in this!

ann February 3, 2011 at 10:34 PM  

Lara, This soup looks wonderful. I'm always pretty skeptical about the crock pot recipes too, but every now and then I'm pleasantly surprised. This looks like a keeper. I can't wait to try it.

Unknown February 4, 2011 at 10:59 AM  

Yummo! I linked to this in my Friday Favorites!

http://www.laniejandco.com/2011/02/friday-favorites-2411.html

R,  February 4, 2011 at 9:08 PM  

We just had this for dinner and everyone loved it. It is very tasty.

Kimberly February 6, 2011 at 2:25 PM  

This looks delicious. I'm adding it to my menu for next week. I just noticed your ratings at the bottom of your recipe. Very cute idea. I post our family's rating, but how fun to get see other people's opinions.
Love your blog. You have some awesome recipes!

annalisa February 7, 2011 at 8:14 PM  

Mom made this the other day and I loved it! I couldn't get enough of it!

karen December 21, 2011 at 8:18 PM  

i've been wanting to try this ever since you posted it. Finally made it today and oh my gosh it was good.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP