Root Beer Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I've always been intrigued by dinner foods that call for everyday, but off-the-wall ingredients...like soda pop, but I have this problem that has thus far prevented me from ever trying one of those recipes myself.  It turns out that when you don't give your kids the opportunity to have a food (or carbonated beverage) very often, that it becomes a  forbidden fruit which sends them into frenzied sneaking behaviors whenever it's in the house (no teenage boy's names mentioned).  

After a couple of failed attempts at having all the ingredients for this dish in stock, I finally decided to hide the root beer in a place where they would never find it before I needed it---the bottom of their empty clothes hamper.  :)    I got the pork started while the kids were in school, so they didn't actually see me adding the root beer, but it didn't seem to matter whether they knew of the presence of soda (or "pop" if you live in the West),  they still devoured these tender, flavorful sandwiches with the reckless abandon of red meat/soda deprived children.  :) The kids and hubby all gave it five stars....while I gave it a four star rating for wishing the sauce was a little thicker.  In any case, they're good, easy, and perfect for a summer gathering!  Enjoy! 


 Source:  Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book
Click here for printable recipe. 


The ingredients:

2-1/2 to 3 -pound pork sirloin roast
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
4 cups root beer, divided  (DON'T use diet root beer)
2 Tbs. minced garlic
1 bottle  (12-ounces)  chili sauce
Several dashes bottled hot pepper sauce, to taste (optional)
8-10 hamburger buns, toasted
Lettuce leaves
Tomato slices


Directions:
  Trim fat from meat if necessary.  Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper.  In a large skillet brown meat on all sides in hot oil.  Drain off fat.  Transfer meat to slow cooker.  Add onions, only ONE CUP of the root beer, and garlic.
 
Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours. 

Meanwhile, for sauce, in medium saucepan combine the remaining root beer (3 cups) and the jar of chili sauce.  Bring to boiling; reduce heat.  Boil gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally , about 30 minutes or until mixture has reduced to 2 cups.  If desired, add hot pepper sauce to taste.   

Transfer meat to a cutting board.  With a slotted spoon remove onions and set aside.  Discard cooking juices.  Using 2 forks, pull meat apart into shreds.  To serve, if desire, line TOASTED buns with lettuce leaves and tomato slices.  Add meat and onions; spoon on sauce. 

Enjoy! 


Don't miss a single recipe....sign up on the right, for free email updates.

***********

7 comments:

Meg Luby May 18, 2011 at 3:16 PM  

i've always been intrigued by some off the wall recipes as well! and this one looks amazing! thanks for sharing! an awesome post, as per usual. loves it :)
-meg
@ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

teresa May 18, 2011 at 3:36 PM  

mmm, so yummy! i bet the flavors were wonderful!

Rachel May 18, 2011 at 6:09 PM  

Pulled pork is one of my husband's favorites! I've only made it with BBQ sauce, but am very intrigued by the addition of root beer!

A Stone Gatherer May 18, 2011 at 8:41 PM  

That sounds yummy! Could you add cornstarch to make the sauce thicker?

Susan May 19, 2011 at 2:20 AM  

How interesting. I would like to give you Awards Galore which is 8-in-1. You can pick it up on my blog: http://www.createamazingmeals.com/2011/05/awards-galore.html

Debbie May 19, 2011 at 6:37 AM  

This is exactly my husband's kind of recipe. He LOVES pulled pork and I'm sure would love to try this recipe. I will definitely pass this on to him!

Romney Family May 19, 2011 at 8:46 AM  

those looks so yummy!!! We like you guys rarely ever have soda (I call it pop I grew up out west)in our house so our kids do the same thing!!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP