Phyllo Custard Pie (or Ruffled Milk Pie)

Friday, January 7, 2011

The recipe for this beautiful and unique pie was supposed to be a part of my holiday baking series, but somehow got lost in the shuffle of the holidays.  Although I felt rather stupid for missing Renee's easy Greek-inspired pie in the line-up, I actually was kind of excited that I got to try it before posting it.  Don't be intimidated by the large 14-inch pan the recipe calls for....I got mine for $7 (with a 50% coupon) at Michaels and will continue to use it as a deep-dish pizza pan, but I also tried it in a regular 9-inch size pan by reducing the recipe by a third and it turned out great.  You'll want to serve this fresh and hot right out of the oven with a little dollop of whipping cream.  DELICIOUS! 

 ***************
From Renee G. (read more about Renee at the end):

"I picked a recipe that is perfect for the holidays. It is super easy and fun and very impressive looking. It tastes great too. The first time I made it I used more phyllo dough than was asked in the recipe because I thought it wouldn't be enough for the size pan and it turned out fine but I would definitely stick with the recipe and fold the phyllo dough very loosely so it is more custard than dough. Enjoy! Oh...I had to buy a 14-inch round pan, it's big! I got mine at a supply store for $12 bucks it was an investment but I love the dish and will make it a lot more so it was worth it to me, but if you're unsure see if you can borrow one."


Click here for printable recipe.

Ingredients

Makes one 14-inch pie (or if using a 9-inch pan, reduce recipe by one-third)
  • 6 tablespoons melted  butter
  • 8 to 9 sheets store-bought phyllo (I used Athens brand 9x14-inch phyllo sheets)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for dusting
  • 3 cups whole milk
  • 6 large eggs
  • 1 generous cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush a 14-inch round cake pan with some of the melted butter; set aside.
  2. Place 1 sheet of phyllo dough on work surface with one long side parallel to edge of work surface. Using your hands, loosely ruffle phyllo by pushing short sides towards one another to create a long cylindrical shape. Place upright in center of prepared cake pan creating a spiral. Repeat process with remaining sheets, continuing spiral outwards until bottom of pan is covered. 

    (NOTE:  It will seem like too few phyllo sheets for the large pan, but the pie will be too dense if you use more.  Spiral it in loosely and it will be enough.)


  3.  
  4. Using a pastry brush, brush remaining melted butter all over phyllo in pan; sprinkle with cinnamon. Transfer to oven and bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, heat milk in a medium saucepan until it just barely begins to boil; remove from heat. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar. Gradually add heated milk, a little bit at a time, whisking constantly; whisk in vanilla. (Mixture will be thin at this point.  It will set up in the oven.)
  6. Spoon milk mixture over baked phyllo, evenly covering surface.
    Return pan to oven and bake until filling has set, 25 to 30 minutes more.
    Dust with confectioners' sugar and cinnamon; serve immediately.

7. Enjoy!

NOTE (Directions for a 9 or 10-inch round pan): 
If you would like to try this recipe with a 9 or 10-inch round pan, rather than the 14-inch pan the recipe calls for, you will need to reduce the recipe by a third. 
4 Tbs. melted butter, 6-7 phyllo sheets, cinnamon, 2 cups milk, 4 large eggs, 2/3 cup sugar, 3/4 tsp. vanilla

*****************
About Renee:
I live in Northern California. I'm a wife and mom of two beautiful children. I love love love to cook and try new recipes and I'm totally addicted to blogs. I'm friends with Lara's sister who just moved to Southern California.   :(

Thanks Renee!!!! 

8 comments:

ann January 7, 2011 at 3:47 PM  

I love custard pie. This one is unique and looks wonderful. I'd love to make it. Thanks for posting it.

Debbie January 7, 2011 at 6:23 PM  

Oh that looks really good. I love cakes and pies that are different. Love the powdered sugar on top. I can just picture some berries on top also!!!

Arlene Delloro January 7, 2011 at 7:34 PM  

This looks and sounds delicious. It's unique.

Lindsay January 7, 2011 at 8:39 PM  

How pretty! Thanks for showing how to spiral the pastry -- very helpful for when i attempt this!

Holly January 8, 2011 at 2:57 AM  

I'm printing this one!! Looks yummy and Thanks for posting the how to-I was so confused reading through til I got to the pictures:)

Anonymous,  January 8, 2011 at 6:56 AM  

What a totally unique and fun recipe to try! I love new fun recipes like this and am anxious to try. Thanks for posting where you found the pie plate. Have a super weekend!!!

Kim January 9, 2011 at 12:34 AM  

I've never seen anything like this and I love it! Very cool idea to ruffle up the phyllo dough.

Blue Angel August 20, 2015 at 7:00 AM  

Great breakfast /brunch item.
Sorry to see you no longer blog here anymore
I've enjoyed this site. Wish you all well. Wish you would at least post a closing post to all of us who await
Thank uou

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP