Lemon Herbed Chicken and Veggies

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

This is a meal that my 12-year-old daughter made for me on Mother's Day.  She had attended a demonstration with other youth from church on how to make it and afterward she handed me a grocery list and did the rest herself.  I found it so sweet to see how excited she was about it and was delighted when it turned out legitimately very tasty.  We've since made it another four or five times and this recipe ended up being the catalyst for me to get out of my blogging rut and start posting again, because I was worried about losing the recipe that was typed up on a loose sheet of paper.  The chicken needs to marinate for a few hours, but other than that the whole thing comes together very quickly.  In fact, the rice will probably take longer to cook than the chopping and cooking of the chicken and the veggies.  I envision this recipe being a regular part of our meal rotation for a long time to come!    

I made a 1-1/2 batch for my family of 7.
Click here for printable recipe.  

Posted by Lara.

The ingredients:

MARINADE
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs. dried parsley
2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 pkg (8-oz.) mushrooms (white or cremini), quartered
bell pepper (any color), chopped into large pieces
red onion, chopped into large pieces

Directions: 
In a gallon size Ziploc bag, combine olive oil, lemon juice, and seasonings.  Add cubed chicken and marinate for 3 hours or longer.   


Spread meat and veggies in a single layer on a large cookie sheet with sides.  Pour marinade over the top.  Broil for 15 minutes.   Or you can skewer them and grill them outdoors. 


Serve over warm rice.  
Serves 4.  Enjoy!  

Recipe Source:  from my friend Julianne 

7 comments:

The Rantings of a Drama Queen's Mum June 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM  

Sounds good without mushrooms. I'm not a fan of mushrooms.

Kim June 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM  

This recipe looks delicious and definitely kid-friendly. What really gets me is that your 12 year old daughter made it for you! That is very impressive. I have a 12 year old daughter and she's just learned how to make pasta. I thought she was doing pretty good. Now I see there is room for improvement;-)

tree July 3, 2013 at 3:58 PM  

Thank you. Looks yummy!!!

Kim July 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM  

Thank you. Needed a dinner meal and this was good. Yet again you have saved dinner!

Edwin Spencer,  August 20, 2013 at 2:23 AM  

I see this lemon herbed chicken and veggies recipe is good for dinner. I'll be making one on my dad's birthday.

Unknown September 6, 2013 at 1:44 AM  

Now here's one awesome chicken recipe. Hope I can make when I find time.

yung@foodyoo.com September 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM  

It looks really nice and it is lovely that your kid is cooking for you. :)If serve with rice, probably can try to stir fry this. Stir fry with high heat and add some broth and oyster sauce, so get some gravy to serve with rice.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP