Cooking with Kids: Freshly Squeezed Lemonade

Monday, July 20, 2009


Today's recipe for my Cooking with Kids series I found on the Sister's Cafe. I just discovered this wonderful website and its five sisters who all love to cook and share their recipes. Not only do they have oodles of yummy looking recipes to try (I've already printed 6 I want to try soon), but their website is exactly how I envision this little blog to be someday with all four of us sisters, the two sister-in-laws, my mom, and a favorite cousin all taking turns sharing our favorite recipes. Of course since the average age of all their kids is about 2 while mine is 8, it might be a while. LOL! :) I also recently tried their zucchini soup and loved it. Thank you Sisters for your inspiration!

This freshly squeezed recipe was extra fun for the kids to do themselves--cutting, squeezing, and stirring all by themselves and the tasty, refreshing results were just as scintillating for the grown-ups as it was for the kids. Be sure to check out my other Cooking with Kids ideas.



The kids wanted me try to make it look fancy with lemon wedges and the sugar rim, just like at the restaurants. It cracked me up
doing it though, since we normally drink out of plastic Target cups.

The ingredients:





5 lemons
5 limes
5 oranges
5-6 cups cold water
2-3 cups sugar (we used 2)

Once you have juiced all the fruit, add the water and sugar to taste. Exactly how much water and sugar you add will depend on how juicy/sweet/sour your fruit is. I added 2 cups of sugar and 6 cups of water. Makes 2 quarts.















Enjoy!

8 comments:

SnoWhite July 20, 2009 at 9:14 AM  

That looks awesome!! Thanks.

MaRiN July 20, 2009 at 1:03 PM  

Looks deliciously refreshing! My kids would love to make this with me.

Lyndas recipe box July 20, 2009 at 6:24 PM  

This looks so refreshing...I haven't made fesh lemonade in quite awhile!

Katy ~ July 20, 2009 at 8:33 PM  

Lara, you make me laugh with "plastic Target cups."

Lemonade is so perfect for summer I think. Yumm.... sounds so refreshing! Love those little faces enjoying the fruit of their labor.

Coleens Recipes July 21, 2009 at 12:39 AM  

What pretty little lemonade makers!! Thanks for the tip on the sisters web site too.

Brittany July 21, 2009 at 8:21 PM  

I am so glad that you liked the lemonade and that you are passing it on to your circle! Thanks for the link too! Your blog is great - I can't wait to try some of your recipes. Isn't blogging with sisters fun?! Brittany

Anonymous,  July 21, 2009 at 8:32 PM  

Oh this recipe came at JUST the right time! On my way back from San Francisco, my host gave me a HUGE bag of home-grown organic lemons the double size of my fist! I was hoping to make lemonade too!

Karine July 22, 2009 at 12:12 AM  

You daughters look adorable! And the lemonade sounds delicious!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP