One-Pot Spaghetti

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

It always cracks me up when I ask my family for suggestions of what to add to my dinner menus each week and invariably someone always says spaghetti.  Me?  I'm not such a spaghetti fan myself, but I do like to make things that my family will actually eat.  This recipe took spaghetti to a whole new level of simplicity...with everything cooking all in the same pot.  At first my kids were wary of the noodles being in the sauce instead of underneath it, but their hesitancy was short-lived once they actually tasted it.  Serve this up with some crusty bread and a green salad and you've got a great, well-rounded meal!  Enjoy! 


Source:  Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook
 Click here for printable recipe. 


The ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef or ground sausage (I used a 1/2 lb. each of beef and sausage)
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large can (32-ounces) chicken broth (4 cups)
3 cups water
2 cans (6-ounces each) tomato paste
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 box (12-ounces) dried spaghetti, broken
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:  In a large saucepan cook the ground beef and/or sausage, onion, and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender.  Drain. 

Stir in the broth, water, tomato paste, oregano, basil, and pepper.  Bring to boiling.  Add the broken spaghetti, a little at a time, stirring constantly.  Return to boiling; reduce heat.  Boil gently, uncovered, for 17-20 minutes or until spaghetti is tender and sauce is of the desired consistency, stirring frequently.  Serve with Parmesan cheese.  Enjoy! 




Don't miss a single recipe...sign up for free email updates. 



**********

3 comments:

Sila Lumenn May 25, 2011 at 1:30 PM  

My family would eat spaghetti every day if I let them. I've even stopped asking what they want for dinner unless I have a list of meals to choose from because I never get any other answer. As a result, I'm always looking for ways to change up a tired classic. I can't wait to try this one on them. Thanks!

Kim May 25, 2011 at 4:57 PM  

Spaghetti is my husband and daughter's favorite. They just can't get enough of it. I've often thought about cooking it this way, but wasn't sure if it would work. This is definitely one that I'd like to try!

Felicia July 15, 2014 at 3:53 PM  

I've been using this recipe for years. We don't have spaghetti very often, but when we do--it's this one!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP