Oreo Turkeys for Thanksgiving

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Anyone who's been following along with our cooking adventures for long, knows that both me and my blogging partner, Jen love making fun food for our kids!  I had made these Oreo Turkey Treats with my kids a few years ago and these Turkey Cupcakes last year, but when I saw these cute little treats at Our Best Bites, I just couldn't resist.  Not only are they super cute, but I loved their idea of sticking little name placards on them and making them into Thanksgiving table place holders.  Don't stress about them being too fragile, I was surprised at how sturdy they were after the icing set up.   


Recipe Source:  Our Best Bites
Click here for printable recipe. 



The ingredients:


(amounts needed per turkey)

2 Double Stuff Oreo cookies (getting the double stuff variety is important, so that there's room to put the candy corn feathers)
Chocolate Frosting (I like to use the cookie icing from the baking aisle)
6 candy corns (5 for tail feathers, 1 for the beak)
1 miniature peanut butter cup
1 Whopper candy
Yellow frosting (I recommend the "writing icing" from the baking aisle)
Red frosting (I recommend the "writing icing" from the baking aisle)

Directions:
  Take one Double Stuff Oreo and squeeze in a small amount of the chocolate icing in between the 2 cookies (but without taking them apart) and about half way around the Oreo.

Gently insert 5 candy corns into the icing.  

Put some chocolate icing along the top edge of the other Oreo and "glue" it with the icing perpendicular to the Oreo with the candy corn feathers.  Set aside and allow icing to harden (5-10 minutes). 
Trim off the edge of the miniature peanut butter cup, so that there's a flat edge.

Place some chocolate icing along the cut flat edge and the back of the peanut butter cup. 
Place the peanut butter cup onto the Oreos as shown, to become the turkey body.  (I don't think it really matters which way the peanut butter cup goes.  One of my kids put it on upside down and the rest of us put them on right side up.  Either way, I thought they turned out cute.)  
Put some frosting on the back of the Whopper candy and place above the peanut butter cup, to become the turkey head. 
With the yellow icing, pipe eyeballs onto the Whopper.  Cut off the tip of the remaining candy corn and with some icing, "glue" it to the Whopper head to become the beak.
  With the red icing, pipe a wattle (the red thingy hanging from its neck). 

Sit the turkeys upright and with yellow icing, draw legs and feet onto the bottom Oreo. 
Now put them out where people can oooo and awwww over how cute they are!   

Try them with little name placards on toothpicks sticking out with the tail feathers for place settings at the Thanksgiving table.   

Enjoy! 

Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox.  Sign up on the right for free email updates!

2 comments:

teresa November 20, 2011 at 10:09 PM  

gosh these are SO CUTE! i'd love this as a centerpiece.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP