Dad's Coleslaw

Thursday, September 9, 2010

This simple recipe is my Dad's summer specialty and it's one of the few salads I make that everyone devours.   Everyone loves the crunch of the peanuts and dry ramen noodles.   This particular salad in the pictures below is an extra special salad, since the cabbage we used was straight out of the garden and 100%  nurtured by my 9-year-old daughter.  It was the best coleslaw we ever had.  :)

 Click here for printable recipe.  

The ingredients:

1 large head cabbage, shredded (or two 10-ounce packages shredded cabbage)
2 packages dry ramen noodles, crunched up (discard the seasoning packets)
3/4 cup sunflower seeds
3/4 cup honey-roasted peanuts

DRESSING:  (When I'm feeling lazy, I just use store bought slaw dressing.  I like Marzetti's brand.)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1-2 tsp. sugar
1 Tbs. vinegar
1/4 tsp. salt

Directions: Pull cabbage out of garden and run it inside as quickly as possible.

In a large bowl, combine cabbage,

sunflower seeds,

dry ramen noodles,

and peanuts.

Set aside.  In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients.  Just before serving, pour dressing over coleslaw and stir until evenly coated.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Bon-Bon September 9, 2010 at 11:36 AM  

Delish! Thanks for the reminder about this recipe. Gotta make some soon since Ernie and I are big slaw fans. Thanks, Lara. You're da bomb!

Anonymous,  September 9, 2010 at 12:19 PM  

Im gonna try this next week with your black bean burgers and grill some corn!! yummy! thanks!

Kim September 9, 2010 at 2:18 PM  

Did you daughter by chance grow the cabbage for school? I'm asking because my daughter is also 9 and grew the cabbage as part of a program for school this past year.
Either way, I love the pics of her with her cabbage - very cool! And, the slaw looks amazing.

Lara September 10, 2010 at 6:50 AM  

Thanks Bonnie! We miss you guys!

Emily, That sounds like a great menu. Can I come over?

Kim, Yes my daughter did grow the cabbage for school. In fact, when my school teacher aunt came to visit and saw it in the garden she immediately asked if it was the "third grade cabbage". Sounds like it was beyond just Virginia they were part of the curriculum. :)

Kristen September 11, 2010 at 8:39 AM  

I really need to try my hand a fresh coleslaw - this looks yummy

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP