Red Velvet and Orange Cheesecake Marbled Cupcakes with Chocolate-Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting

Friday, June 15, 2012

My baby boy, James, turned two this week.  I can't believe how grown up he is!  To celebrate with him, I decided to make cupcakes so we wouldn't be stuck with all the leftovers that a cake brings.  We were just having a few cousins over and this recipe was perfect because we just ended up with one (that I would never have eaten for breakfast the next morning).  I'm sure James didn't appreciate the deliciousness of the cupcakes, but if I'm going to make something, I want to be able to enjoy it!  This recipe is probably one of the best cupcakes I have ever tasted.  They didn't look great (mostly because of my mistake) but they tasted AMAZING!  I got the cupcake recipe from Restless Chipotle and the frosting recipe here


Click here for printable recipe.
Posted by Katie.

Ingredients:

Red Velvet Cake- 
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
3 Tbsp. Cocoa
4 Tbsp. red food coloring
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup whole milk buttermilk (or substitute)
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. white vinegar

Orange Cheesecake-
4 oz. cream cheese (not low fat)
2 Tbsp. freshly grated orange peel
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla

Directions:
For the velvet cake- Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add the egg and vanilla and beat well.
Use a spatula to scrape any butter mixture off the sides of the bowl and mix again until well blended.
In a separate bowl, mix the food coloring and cocoa until a paste forms.  I didn't have quite enough food coloring so I added in a little water to make the paste.
Add the cocoa mixture to the butter mixture until it is evenly blended.  Scrape sides and check for streaks then blend again.
Add 1/4 cup buttermilk, mix.  Add half the flour, mix.  Add the remaining buttermilk, mix, Add the remaining flour, mix.  Now stir in the baking soda and vinegar until blended.

For the cheesecake- Beat together all ingredients until creamy and well-blended.
Do not whip.
Assemble- Place liners in muffin cups.  Fill about 2/3 with red velvet batter.  Add about a tablespoon of cheesecake batter to the top.  DO NOT OVERFILL like I did :)  If you don't overfill, this would probably make about 15 cupcakes.
Bake at 325 for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Below is a picture of what happens if you overfill the cups...
Let cool completely and then make frosting.

Chocolate-Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients:
8 oz pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 (16 oz) pkg. powdered sugar
1/4 cup buttermilk (or substitute)

Directions:
Beat first 4 ingredients until creamy.  In a separate bowl, combine powdered sugar and cocoa.  Gradually add  to butter/cream cheese mixture with buttermilk, alternately, beginning and ending with powdered sugar mixture.
Beat at low speed until blended after each addition.  Beat until desired consistency.  For good piping consistency, refrigerate until reached.
Pipe or spread frosting over cupcakes.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

K June 15, 2012 at 5:41 PM  

This sounds amazing. I'm hoping my niece will make them for me while I am in DC this summer! Yummy!

Minnie(@thelady8home) June 17, 2012 at 12:02 PM  

This really looks and sound wonderful.

teresa June 22, 2012 at 6:43 PM  

they look great to me! i love the layers and flavors. no ordinary cupcake.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP