Turkey Lettuce Wraps

Monday, January 28, 2013

I am always on a quest to get my kids to eat healthier, but sometimes I feel like it is an uphill battle...especially with certain of my children.  One in particular is by far my pickiest eater and when a recipe wins his approval, I consider it a happy day.  So imagine my surprise when one night I make this healthy new recipe, filled with broccoli and wrapped in lettuce leaves, and my son goes gaga over them.  In fact, all five of my kids loved them and it was good that my husband was out of town that night, because there wasn't a drop left afterward.  The next time I made them I learned my lesson and made a double batch.  Too bad I only had two heads of Romaine lettuce though, because we soon ran out of lettuce and I had very disappointed kids when I suggested they try wrapping it in a tortilla instead. 

Hmmm....it's a super quick meal to throw together AND the kids are happily gobbling up broccoli and lettuce...I think we have a winner here!
 

Recipe Source: 71 Toes
Click here for printable recipe.
Posted by Lara.

The ingredients:


2 Tbs.  olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 lb. ground turkey
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp garlic salt (I used 2 cloves of chopped garlic and another 1/4 tsp. salt)
1 (12-oz) bag broccoli slaw (in the produce section, near the bagged salads)
1/2 cup Teriyaki sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
 Romaine lettuce leaves

Directions
Heat olive oil over medium-high heat, add diced onions and saute until soft (about 5 minutes). 

Add ground turkey, salt, pepper, and garlic salt and cook until turkey is browned and cooked through.

Drain the liquids, then stir in broccoli slaw, teriyaki sauce, and sesame oil and cook for an additional 7-10 minutes. 

Serve by the spoonfuls in Romaine lettuce leaves.  Makes about 4-5 servings. 

Enjoy! 


3 comments:

teresa January 28, 2013 at 8:01 PM  

total score!! this looks awesome!

katy February 13, 2013 at 7:26 PM  

Making this now. It smells amazing!

Christin March 5, 2013 at 3:58 PM  

I tried this recipe ahead for dinner tonight - I'll have to wait for my husband's reaction, but I think it's delicious. I substituted teriyaki sauce with a combo of soy sauce and rice vinegar, and used chopped broccoli and shredded carrot in place of the slaw. Thanks for the great meal idea!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP