Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit Knock-Off

Thursday, March 11, 2010

We actually have never eaten at Red Lobster before (serious seafood allergies will do that to you), but after reading the description of these knock-off biscuits in the Food Network magazine I couldn't resist trying them for ourselves. I was in a big hurry the first time we tried them, so I just handed the recipe over to my 12-year-old daughter to whip together. I don't know what I expected, but I was in love with the melt-in-your-mouth texture and great flavor from the very first bite. They are now my new favorite quick and easy side to make with pasta and Mexican main dishes. They're much quicker than breadsticks and believe me when I say you'll have a hard time stopping at just one!


Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:

CHEDDAR BISCUIT:
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon PLUS 2 teaspoons baking powder
2-1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
3 Tbs. shortening (Crisco)
4 Tbs. cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
6-ounces grated yellow cheddar cheese (about 1-1/4 cups)
3/4 cup whole milk (I used skim milk)


GARLIC BUTTER:
3 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 tsp. fresh parsley

Directions: Position oven rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 425°. Lightly mist a large baking sheet with cooking spray.

Pulse the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Add the shortening and pulse until combined. Add the butter; pulse 4 or 5 times, or until the butter is in pea-size pieces.



Add the cheese and pulse 2 or 3 times. (NOTE: I do not have a food processor, so I used my old-fashioned pastry cutter with excellent results) Pour in the milk and pulse (or use a fork) just until the mixture is moistened and forms a shaggy dough.


Turn out onto a clean surface and knead just until the dough comes together. Do NOT overwork the dough or the biscuits will be tough.


Drop the dough onto the baking sheet in scant 1/4-cup portions, 2 inches apart and bake until golden, 10-15 minutes. ( Mine took only 10 minutes)



Meanwhile, make the garlic butter by melting the butter with the garlic in small saucepan over medium heat; cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in parsley.
(they were yummy even without the garlic butter)

Brush the biscuits with the garlic butter and serve warm. Makes 12 biscuits. Enjoy!

10 comments:

Karey March 11, 2010 at 8:12 AM  

Oh, I love Red Lobster's biscuits! I'll have to try these soon!

Kim March 11, 2010 at 8:48 AM  

Oh yes! I love these biscuits. My mom and I tried this recipe and we loved them. We each ate 3 in one setting. Yours turned out so golden, buttery and delicious looking.
Sorry to hear of the seafood allergies. I know the seafood allergy is a tough one. My son is allergic to quite a bit, including all nuts. It keeps us out of a lot of those steakhouse restaurants where they have the peanuts everywhere.

Rhandi March 11, 2010 at 7:13 PM  

Great pictures! These look fantastic- gotta LOVE Red Lobsters biscuits! My recipe doesn't have the shortening and they are good but not quite like Red Lobsters- I think I am going to give your version a go- I can't wait. Maybe we will have salad as our main corse because I just can't stop eating these babies once I start :)

SnoWhite March 11, 2010 at 9:38 PM  

we've never been to red lobster either -- eating out is tough with food allergies. these biscuits sound wonderful (and are making me hungry!)!

K March 11, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

I love these biscuits! They are super yummy!

Jackie March 12, 2010 at 1:04 AM  

Hi

When making these was all your ingredients cold.

Lara March 12, 2010 at 7:05 AM  

HI Jackie,
I had the butter, milk, and cheese cold, but the rest of the ingredients were at room temperature. I think the real secret with these is not to overwork the dough when mixing them. These are so tender and flaky.

mom,  March 13, 2010 at 12:01 AM  

I made these last night and dad liked them so much he asked me to make them for breakfast this morning. I thought they were even better this morning. Yum!

Julie March 13, 2010 at 10:36 AM  

These are just the best...yum!

Katy ~ March 14, 2010 at 7:36 AM  

I just want to scoot that whole platter over here and mangia! Oh my, do those every look GOOD!!!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP