Walking Tacos (or Tacos in a Bag)

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

After nearly a month off of blogging and trying new recipes, we're back from our vacation now and I am excited to start cooking again!  This fun recipe was inspired from a dish offered at our high school concession stand and has proven to be as popular in our house as it is in the concession stand. Taste wise, they're no different than your average tacos and just as easy to throw together, but my kids (and their friends) thought the concept of eating dinner straight out of a bag of chips was the coolest thing ever.   Of course, I didn't mind the lack of dirty dishes either.  :)  
Click here for printable recipe.


The ingredients:


1-1/4 lbs. cooked taco seasoned ground beef/turkey (I used a chopped onion, one taco seasoning packet and 3/4 cup water)
10-12 snack-size packages (1-ounce each) corn chips or cheese flavored chips (we used Fritos and Doritos)
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 head Romaine lettuce, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
Sour cream, salsa, and/or taco sauce, to taste

Directions:  After the ground beef/turkey is taco seasoned and cooked, have each family member choose their desired bag of chips and crunch them slightly.  Carefully open the bags of chips at the top (you want to be careful that the side doesn't get ripped).  Add a spoonful of the taco seasoned meat directly into the chip bag (over the chips). 

Add shredded cheese, chopped lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, and salsa as desired.    Distribute forks and eat straight out of the bags (no plates required).  Makes about six servings.

Enjoy! 


Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox....sign up for free email updates (on the right). 

7 comments:

Judy August 31, 2011 at 11:01 AM  

This would make a great camping meal.

Julie August 31, 2011 at 4:05 PM  

What a fun idea....I know I'd love it!

Anonymous,  August 31, 2011 at 7:40 PM  

This is GENIOUS!! What a GREAT idea & totally fun too :) What's next, cereal in the milk carton..ha ha You might be on to something!

Kim August 31, 2011 at 8:33 PM  

My daughter would absolutely flip over this! Will definitely have to try this one night.

Jo September 1, 2011 at 11:05 PM  

BRILLIANT idea - so trying this asap..... thank you.

Katie September 7, 2011 at 12:52 PM  

This solves an age-old family mystery! My mom always made "Walking Tacos" growing up - Same ingredients, but just sitting on a boring old plate - And we always wondered where the name came from. This brilliant idea must have somehow evolved into the much less exciting (& immobile) version that we were served. Love these!

Anonymous,  June 19, 2012 at 12:58 AM  

Never heard of this but we made Haystacks as a kid (fritos, chili, cheese)...I think if I could find a good can of chili (does it exist?) I'd try & recreate it like this! Camping, the beach, boring Saturdays...very cool!!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP