Creamy Spinach Lasagne Rolls

Monday, August 1, 2011

Lasagne is a great comfort food. What's not to like with all that cheesy goodness?! I once saw a recipe for rolled up lasagne years ago and instantly got a creative thought in my head. Why not do spinach lasagne rolls with an Alfredo sauce instead of a red sauce? Thus my spinach lasagne rolls were born. I love the cuteness of the individual lasagne rolls. These not only taste great but are healthy as well.

Click here for printable recipe. 

The Ingredients:


For the white sauce:
1/4 c butter
1/4 c flour
2 c milk
garlic powder
to taste
dash of nutmeg

For the lasagne roll-ups:
1 box (16-oz.) lasagne noodles
1 box (10-oz.) frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
2 cartons (15-oz. each) Ricotta cheese
2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
2/3 c Parmesan cheese
2 eggs
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
3 tsp Italian seasoning
salt/pepper
to taste
dash nutmeg

(This will make about 2 dozen lasagne rolls. Cut it in half if needed)

The Directions:
Prepare pot to boil water for the lasagne noodles. Add oil so as to prevent the noodles from sticking. Cook the noodles just to the point where they are bendable. Do not cook too long or they will fall apart when you try to get them out of the pan. When the noodles are done cooking, arrange in a row on parchment paper.

While water is boiling and noodles are cooking, make the white sauce. Melt butter in non stick skillet and then sprinkle on flour. Whisk to make a smooth paste. Add 1 cup of milk and whisk until smooth. Gradually add more milk until you have reached the desired thickness. Add garlic and nutmeg and stir. Keep warm until needed stirring occasionally.
For more in depth tutorial of how to make a white sauce go here.


Spray the bottom of a 9x13 pan with butter spray and spread a thin layer of the white sauce on the bottom.
Mix together the ricotta, 1 1/2 c of mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese. Mix in eggs and seasonings. This is what you could use if you were to make cheese filled jumbo shells or cheese cannelloni or the cheese mixture for regular lasagne. OK. Moving on...
Mix the drained spinach with the cheese mixture.
Spoon spinach and cheese mixture onto cooked lasagne noodles. Spread it down the middle of the noodle, but not too thick. Go about 3/4 the way down the noodle.Roll up the noodles starting from the top trying to keep as much mixture inside the roll. Place rolled up lasagne noodle, seam side down, in the pan on top of the sauce.
Cover with Alfredo sauce and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.Cover with foil and bake in 350 degree oven for 1/2 hour. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes or until cheese on top is completely melted.

9 comments:

Kim August 1, 2011 at 9:39 PM  

I definitely like the touch of white sauce in place of the red. These look terrific!

Ali August 1, 2011 at 10:53 PM  

I too really like that you used white sauce instead of red. The one time I made lasagna rolls I used a white and a red sauce and it was delish too. I like to use white sauce because there is less heartburn that way. haha :) Fabulous recipe!

If you’d like, I wanted to invite you to share your best recipes over at my new party, Recipe Sharing Monday at Jam Hands. I’m going to be featuring my favorite submissions during the week and I’d love it if you’d join in the fun. :O)

Rachel August 2, 2011 at 9:19 AM  

These look so good!!! I, also, am really excited to try the white sauce!!!!

Sashquatch August 2, 2011 at 12:15 PM  

lovinnggg the look of these cheesy little wonders :) great spin on the lasagne rolls ive seen elsewhere and looks like wonderful comfort grub! Hope to try these sometime definitely

teresa August 2, 2011 at 3:51 PM  

these are so fun! i love that they are in little rolls.

megan @ whatmegansmaking August 3, 2011 at 7:12 PM  

This sounds so good!! I love the idea of white sauce instead of red :)

Julie August 5, 2011 at 11:35 PM  

I love lasagna rolls and these look super!

Kasi August 9, 2011 at 10:55 PM  

This looks sooo good! :) Going to have to try it...

Chad & Bonny Day November 15, 2011 at 8:25 AM  

I made this last night. It was yummy! I halved it though, but I thought it needed more sauce, so I probably will not half the sauce next time. I also added chicken to it, and I think the cheese mixture may have needed some extra seasoning, not sure what, but I'll play around with it next time. Thanks for sharing it was a hit!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP