Grilled Chicken Cordon Blue Sandwiches

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

One of my husband's most requested meals is chicken cordon blue, but since it's kind of a pain to make, I usually only make it a couple times a year (on his birthday and as our traditional Easter dinner).  When I saw this recipe in our church congregation's cookbook (submitted by my blogging partner, Jen), I was immediately interested in trying it out.  Since then, it's become our favorite new lazy way to enjoy a time-consuming old favorite!  Since not everyone likes Dijon mustard in our house, I ended up using a store-bought honey-mustard and we all loved the flavor it imparted.  I also enjoyed the fact that it was grilled, so we didn't have to heat up our house on these hot, summer days ! 

Click here for printable recipe. 


The ingredients:


4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (one per sandwich)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbs. oil
4 slices deli ham (trimmed to fit over the chicken)
4 slices Swiss cheese (trimmed to fit over the chicken)
4 hamburger buns
Dijon mustard (we used honey-mustard instead)
Additional toppings as desired (lettuce, tomato, mayo, etc.)

Directions:  Trim fat from chicken and cut as necessary to fit buns.  We like to either use chicken tenderloins or cut each breast into 3 or 4 strips for easier grilling.  Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste.  Drizzle chicken with 1 tablespoon oil.  Sear chicken on grill 2 minutes until it has change color one-quarter of way up from bottom.  Turn over; sear 1-3 minutes.  Turn over chicken.  Cook 1-3 minutes; turn over again.  Reduce heat to MEDIUM: cook 12-15 minutes until internal temps reaches 165 degrees.
Brush about a tablespoon of honey-mustard onto each piece of chicken and top with a slice of ham and a slice of Swiss cheese.  Watching carefully, cook until the cheese is slightly melted.  Remove chicken from grill and transfer to a clean plate.  Meanwhile spread mustard onto the tops and bottoms of each bun and grill, mustard side down, until lightly toasted (about 1-2 minutes).  Place chicken/ham/cheese onto each bun and serve immediately with additional mustard, mayo, lettuce, and tomatoes (or whatever toppings you prefer). 

Makes 4 sandwiches.  Enjoy! 



Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox.  Sign up for free email updates (on the right). 

4 comments:

teresa August 10, 2011 at 4:03 PM  

this looks delicious, i love that it's grilled!

Alison @ Hospitality Haven August 10, 2011 at 5:44 PM  

What a fun twist on an old favourite!

Julie August 11, 2011 at 4:39 PM  

Looks like a super delicious sandwich! I've never even had chicken cordon blue, but this looks like a great way to give it a try.

Jen August 14, 2011 at 3:42 PM  

I'm glad you like it too. I miss my grill.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP