Bacon Potato Waffles (or Pancakes)

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

O blog, how have I missed thee... 

With only a few weeks left of summer vacation, I've been hanging low in the blogging world and trying to maximize time with the kiddos before they head back to school.  We're eating lots of old favorites (tacos, spaghetti, and grilled burgers) and more recently lots of fast food.   A couple of days ago I went to my 20-year high school reunion in Minnesota, today we are at Mount Rushmore, tomorrow we will be in Yellowstone.  I love the summertime! 

A few weeks ago I decided to jump on the bandwagon and see what the bacon craze I keep seeing in the cooking blogworld is all about.  I've seen recipes for bacon cookies, bacon muffins, and even bacon cupcakes, and I'll be honest it all sounds a bit....um...unusual.  When I saw this recipe for bacon potato waffles, however, the fact that it was all kind of breakfast-y somehow made it seem less weird and a bit more like a natural fit.  We had some leftover mashed potatoes, so we gave it a try. 

I can't lie and say it wasn't still a bit weird pouring sweet buttermilk syrup over potato and bacon filled waffles that have a hint of oniony flavor, but after getting over the weirdness factor, we all liked it.  We especially loved it with additional crumbled bacon over the top.   The kids decided that next time we make them, we should have them for "Breakfast for Dinner", but they all definitely wanted a next time, so we're calling it a keeper in my book!  :)


Source:  Taste of Home
Click here for printable recipe. 

The ingredients:


1 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbs. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1-1/2 cups mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
1 cup  milk
5 Tbs. canola oil
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
Toppings:  Maple syrup, chunky applesauce (or sour cream and chives)
Additional crumbled cooked bacon, optional

Directions
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, mashed potatoes, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in onion and bacon.
Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown. Or for pancakes, drop by ladlefuls onto hot, greased griddle and cook until golden brown on both sides.   Serve with syrup or applesauce (or sour cream and chives for a more savory dish).   Sprinkle with additional bacon if desired.  Enjoy! 




9 comments:

Sharon August 16, 2011 at 2:55 PM  

This looks so yummy, we love all things breakfast at our house so this is right up may alley! Thanks for sharing!

Kim August 16, 2011 at 8:12 PM  

I love the combination of sweet and savory think this looks heavenly! Enjoy the rest of your break.

Coleens Recipes August 17, 2011 at 5:12 AM  

We REALLY enjoy breakfast for dinner. That photo with all the syrup is mouth watering!!!

Romney Family August 17, 2011 at 10:21 AM  

that looks so awesome!! I actually love when my hashbrowns and sausage and bacon get a little bit of syrup, especially buttermilk syrup, on them when they sit next to my pancakes on my plate. I think I am just going to have to try this out soon!!!

teresa August 18, 2011 at 6:35 PM  

my husband would lose his mind for these! how yummy, your pictures are to die for! hope you're having a good time :)

Julie August 19, 2011 at 1:56 AM  

That looks completely decadent...yummy!

Heather August 19, 2011 at 10:26 AM  

Oooh, you just can't go wrong with bacon! They look delicious and we'll be putting them on our list to try very soon.

Erin Branscom August 27, 2011 at 9:42 PM  

that looks so yummy! I became a follower of your blog! :) Erin

www.healthybranscoms.com

Mirien August 29, 2011 at 11:35 PM  

It was 5pm and I didn't have a dinner plan. I wanted to make something different, but that everyone would like, and I was NOT making a trip to the store. I haven't looked at Lara's blog for a while (it's been a busy summer here, too!), says I, and I bet she's got something for me. I spotted this immediately and knew it was just what I was looking for. I served the waffles with sour cream and cheddar cheese, and I used green onions in the waffles because that's what I had. Delicious! One of the most popular meals I've served in long time. I'm glad I doubled the recipe. We all loved it and I've got a few left over for breakfast tomorrow. Thank you for saving me tonight!!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP