Sweet Potato Crescent Rolls

Monday, November 21, 2011

For a split second I was a little unsure  about the sweet potatoes in these, but then I remembered that I've made cinnamon rolls with potato flakes in them and loved the uber soft texture that they have.   So then I figured if potatoes are good, then sweet potatoes would be even better since they have...more flavor...more sweetness...more vitamins.   I made these using about 2/3 white whole wheat flour and oh-la-la, these were some of the best rolls I've had in a long time!   Their soft texture and hint of sweetness made them rolls we won't soon forget! 

Recipe Source:   Taste of Home

 Tis the season for soft, homemade dinner rolls!   These will be the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving menu!
Click here for printable recipe. 


The ingredients:



2 Tbs. active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110-115 F)
1 can (15-ounces) cut sweet potatoes / yams, drained and mashed (about 1-1/4 cups mashed)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening (I used butter flavored Crisco)
1 egg
1-1/2 tsp. salt
5 – 5-1/2 cups flour  (I used about 3 cups of white whole wheat flour in place of part of the all purpose flour)
1/4 cup butter, melted

Directions:  In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water; let stand for 5 minutes. Beat in the mashed sweet potatoes/yams, sugar, shortening, egg, salt and 3 cups flour. 

Add enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.  Turn onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.  (If using mixer with dough hook, let knead for 4-5 minutes)  Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.  Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down; divide into fourths. Roll each portion into a 10 inch circle;

cut each into 8 wedges.  Brush with butter.  Roll up from the wide end and place pointed end down, 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets.
Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.

Bake at 375 degrees F for 11-13 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from the pans to wire racks.  Makes 32 rolls. 


Enjoy!


Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox.  Sign up on the right for free email updates!

2 comments:

SnoWhite November 21, 2011 at 11:56 AM  

oh my! With my love of sweet potatoes -- these look awesome.

Lyndas recipe box November 21, 2011 at 3:48 PM  

These rolls sound fantastic! Like you, I've made potato rolls, but not tried sweet potatoes. I'm bookmarking this recipe. Thanks!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP